Academic Summer School goes Online
The Online Academic Summer School allows you to immerse yourself in the SOAS experience from anywhere in the world. Study with us for 2 or 4 weeks, engage with world-renowned academics and get to know like-minded, inquisitive students from across the globe.
Teaching and Learning
Our online summer courses take a blended approach to learning, ensuring that students still enjoy an interactive and engaging experience with a high quality of teaching. Courses will include live tutorials, lectures, group discussions, independent learning time and a wide range of online resources that you can access at any point.
Courses are taught from Monday - Friday. The morning will typically be spent listening to an introductory lecture, where your tutor may recommend some resources for you to take a look at before lunch. In the afternoon, you can engage in a forum discussion to share and develop your thoughts with your peers. Following some independent study, the class will then gather to take part in an interactive and engaging live tutorial with the tutor.
Assessment and Credits
Each Academic Summer School course is worth 15 credits in the UK system. 15 credits is equivalent to 4 credits in the US system and 7.5 ECTS in the European system.
If you wish to gain credit from studying with us, you will complete a form of assessment either during or after your course. For those choosing not to earn credit, no formal assessment will be given. Assessment will vary for each course and more information can be found within course descriptions and course handbooks. Participants will be provided with a certificate of attendance and transcripts will be available to students that are assessed for credit.
If you intend to transfer credit to your home institution, please check the requirements with them before you apply. We will be happy to assist you in any way we can, however please be aware that the decision to transfer credit rests solely with your home institution.
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Must have some undergraduate university experience.
- As our courses are taught entirely in English, it is strongly recommended that you ensure you are proficient in English. We recommend the following levels of proficiency:
- IELTS of 6.5 of higher
- TOEFL iBT of 100 or higher
- Pearson of 70 or higher
The fee per course is £1,200. Please note that there is an additional one-off, non-refundable application fee of £40.
- Save £200 if you apply by 17th April
- 10% discount if you apply for two courses over 4 weeks
- 15% discount for SOAS alumni (including Academic Summer School alumni)
- 20% discount for our partner institutions
- 50% discount for our 2020 alumni
- Other discounts are available for groups, please contact us for further information.
Please note that discounts cannot be combined.