Online Academic Summer School
Summer School Terms and Conditions
Important Information - SOAS Academic Summer School
Please Note: the information below is intended as a short summary of the most important terms to consider before you enrol onto the Academic Summer School. It does not serve as replacement for the full Terms and Conditions. Please make sure you read the full SOAS Summer School Terms and Conditions (pdf; 2mb) prior to submitting your application.
- Application process
- When can my application be cancelled?
- Can my course be modified?
- SOAS' liability and your responsibility
- Select your course and pay your application fee
No application will be considered if the application fee has not been paid. Please contact us if you encounter any issue in paying your application fee. [ToR 2]
- Apply through the online application form
When submitting your application, you confirm that you have read and accepted our Terms and Conditions. Please make sure you read them careful. Get in touch with us for any questions. [ToR 1]
- Receive an offer letter or a rejection email
Typical response time is 5 UK working days. Please note that the School is closed for all Bank Holidays as well as over Christmas and Easter. Responses may take longer at those times. [ToR n/a]
- If accepted, pay your tuition fee within 10 days of our offer letter being sent.
If full payment of Tuition Fees has not been received by the School within 10 days from the day we’ve sent you the Offer Letter (or by the application deadline, whichever is the soonest), we may withdraw our offer by emailing you in writing. [ToR3]
- Receive an email from the SOAS Academic Summer School Office confirming receipt of your payment in full (if you paid by bank transfer)
Your place is now confirmed. [ToR 1&3]
You have the right to cancel your enrolment with us for any reason (including if you change your mind) within a fourteem (14) day Cancellation Period. The Cancellation Period will expire after 14 days from the day of the conclusion of the contract. In other words, you will have 14 days from the day after the day we email you to confirm that we accept your enrolment and that we have received payment in full of your Tuition Fee. If you cancel your contract within the 14 day Cancellation Period, we will reimburse the Tuition Fee received from you as soon as possible but not the Application Fee. [ToR 5)b]
After expiry of the 14 day Cancellation Period
- For such cancellations received by the School on or before 25 May of the year of the relevant Summer School session, 100% of the Tuition Fees paid will be refunded, but not the Application Fee.
- For such cancellations received by the School between 25 May - 15 June of the year of the relevant Summer School session, 50% of the Tuition Fees paid will be refunded, but not the Application Fee.
- For cancellations received after 15 June of the year of the relevant Summer School course, no refund will be made. [ToR 5)b]
- We do endeavor to ensure that the course that you booked is delivered as advertised. However, under certain circumstances (see T&Cs), we may have to cancel a course.
We will notify you about cancellations or postponements as soon as possible and by 15 June at the latest.
We will offer you two alternative options to choose from:
- a place on an alternative course at no additional cost in Fees payable - you will be required to nominate your alternative choice of Course within seven (7) days of having been notified of the change;
- a refund of the Tuition Fee and the Application Fee paid by you. [ToR 5) a.]
- Under certain and exceptional circumstances (see T&Cs), we may withdraw our offer to you
No refund of the application and tuition fees will be granted in such cases and no costs, including but not limited to travel arrangements, will be reimbursed. [ToR 2&8]
There may be situations in which it is desirable or necessary for SOAS to make changes in course provision, either before or after enrolment. We will make every effort to provide the Course that you signed up for, but in the event that we have to make changes to the Course content, venue of the Course, Course tutor or faculty then we will let you know as soon as possible.
If you are significantly and adversely affected by these changes and do not want to continue with the Course as a result of these changes then you will have the right to cancel your enrolment on the Course and we will provide a full refund of the Tuition Fee and the Application Fee. [ToR 6)]
- Tuition Fees: unless indicated otherwise, Tuition Fees do not include any other services, including but not limited to, subsistence during Course days, travel or accommodation costs or subsistence, insurance including health insurance or services or other costs that might arise prior to or during the Course. [ToR 6)]
- Your Responsibilities
- You are responsible for providing truthful information as part of your application. [ToR 2)
- You are responsible for arranging insurance in respect of personal property, vehicle and accommodation costs, should you be obliged to leave your accommodation early. We also recommend that you take travel insurance. [ToR 11)]
- You will be solely responsible for determining whether the Course is sufficient and suitable for your needs. [ToR 6)]
- You are responsible for obtaining the required visa that enables your participation in the Course and the rejection of a visa application by the British authorities does not affect the application of these terms and conditions. [ToR 10)]
- It is a condition of your agreement with us that you agree to comply with our applicable rules, policies and regulations. [ToR 8)]
- When we provide accommodation to you, you agree to abide by and comply with the rules and regulations of that residence In particular, you must observe the regulations governing safety and security and do nothing to compromise your own or other residents’ safety and security. [ToR 12)]