Taiwan Studies Modules
Over the last two decades SOAS University of London has become the world's leading provider of Taiwan studies teaching courses. We offer the widest range of postgraduate and undergraduate modules on Taiwan of any university in Europe or North America. These include in depth modules on Taiwan's politics, film, society and culture, international relations, and political economy. In addition to the Taiwan centred modules, we offer a class that compares Taiwan's politics and political economy with Korea and Japan. These modules are available to students on a wide range of postgraduate degrees including MA Chinese Studies, MSc Politics of Asia, MA Pacific Asian Studies, MSc International Politics, MA International Studies and Diplomacy, MA Japanese Studies, MA Taiwan Studies, and many more. In addition, the courses are open to intercollegiate Master students from other University of London degrees.
Postgraduate Taiwan Courses:
- Elections, Social Movements and Gender in Taiwan (15PPOH054) Term 1
- Culture and Society of Taiwan (15PCHH003) Term 1
- Taiwan in International Politics (15PPOH073) Term 2
- New Taiwan Cinema and Beyond (PG) (15PCHH002) Term 2
- Comparing Democracies in North East Asia (15PPOH050) Term 2
- Political Economies of Northeast Asia: Japan, Korea and Taiwan (15PPOH061) Term 2
Undergraduate Taiwan Courses
We now have four courses available to undergraduates. These are unique courses unavailable at any other university in Europe or North America. They are open to second, third or fourth year students as options or floaters on a wide range of SOAS undergraduate degrees.
- Elections, Gender and Social Movements in Taiwan (153400149) Term 1
- Taiwan's International and Cross-Strait Relations (153400166) Term 2
- Culture and Society of Taiwan (155903020) Term 2
- New Taiwan Cinema and Beyond (155903011) Term 2
Short Courses on Taiwan
We also specialise in short intensive courses on Taiwan. Every year we hold short courses at the SOAS Taiwan Studies Summer School and have also taught intensive courses at a number of universities in Germany.