Date: 11 January 2018Time: 5:00 PM
Finishes: 22 March 2018Time: 7:00 PM
Venue: Russell Square: College Buildings
Type of Event: Workshop
The Step On is a cross-curricular programme, bringing together creativity and all subjects taught at SOAS. Its is aimed at preparing students to make successful transitions to sixth form, further studies and/or life long learning.
Applicants should be interested in the humanities and willing to be challenged.
The programme is very interactive. It will require students to take an active role in individual and group activities. Participants will also be expected to make decisions about and to deliver own tasks on time and to the best of their ability.
Step On Twilight will last 10 weeks and include:
- Talks and masterclasses on literature, film, politics with a focus on Africa
- Debates, study skills sessions and a personal research project
- Tasters in African languages
- Talks on studying at university, financing your degree and a campus tour
Working with a team of academics, trainers and university students, participants will also be invited to explore a topic of their choice creatively and in-depth. There will be regular follow-up sessions leading to a show-and-tell at the end of the programme.
Sessions will take place on Thursdays from 4 to 6pm. SOAS will reimburse your travel expenses.
Classes are small and priority will be given to students who:
- Are in Year 12*
- Are currently, or previously, eligible for Free School Meals and/or
- Are the first generation in their family to attend university and/or
- Have experience of care
Students with disabilities area actively encouraged to apply.
*We will consider applications for Year 11 students if they secure the support of their teachers
Contact email: email@example.com