Sixth Form Masterclasses
Masterclasses are subject based. They consist of a topic based lecture and interactive activity, led by a SOAS academic. There are also workshops and a Q&A session with Student Ambassadors who are studying the course.
Through Masterclasses, the School aims to raise attainment and aspiration, with participants:
- Increasing their depth and breadth of specific subject knowledge
- Improving their study and subject specific skills
- Experiencing an HE campus and university-style teaching and learning
- Interacting with current SOAS students from similar backgrounds
At the moment we have masterclasses available both online and on campus. Please click the links below for the details and application forms for the upcoming sessions.
- Online East Asian Languages and Cultures Masterclass - 31st March 2022 - 3pm - 5pm
- On campus Anthropology Masterclass - 5th April 2022 - 10.00am - 1.00pm
- On Campus History Masterclass - 6th April 2022 - 10.30am - 1.30pm
- Online Law Masterclass - 6th April 2022 - 4pm - 6pm
- On campus Economics Masterclass - 7th April 2022 - 10.30am - 1.30pm
Please see below for examples of previous Masterclasses:
A Politics Masterclass... What is it like?
Over 70 students from different boroughs across London took part in one of our Politics masterclasses, led by Professor Stephen Chan. The masterclass included an introduction to SOAS, a lecture, some ambassador workshops, a Q&A session, and a campus tour.
"It was very useful for this lecture to be delivered by someone very influential. The professor, undoubtedly, had outstanding knowledge of this topic, and was able to speak with great passion." - Teacher, Mulberry School for Girls
"It gave the students a real idea of the level expected at university... Professor Chan was both impressively knowledgeable and very fluent and eloquent." - Teacher, Haringey Sixth Form Centre
"Engaging and interesting speaker, who pitched his talk at an appropriate level which informed and challenged the students... The talk was impressively wide-ranging, and some very interesting areas covered in Q & A" - Teacher, St. Charles Sixth Form College
A Law Masterclass... What is it like?
Over 80 students from different boroughs across London took part in two Law masterclasses, with Mr Sham Qayyum. The masterclasses included an introduction to SOAS, a lecture, a mooting exercise, some group discussions with Student Ambassadors, and a campus tour. Participant comments included:
"I really enjoyed the Moot - we learned the etiquette for Mooting. I also like the way it was tailored so we could really relate to the issues being discussed"
"I enjoyed learning about the cases that conflicted religion/race with the law, as this gave me an insight into how the law can be debatable"
"I feel a lot more inspired to do law - I've always been interested but unsure what it would include and whether it would suit me completely"
Enquiries regarding Masterclasses should be directed to: