Summer Schools for Year 12s
SOAS, University of London is the only university in the UK specialising in the study of Asia, Africa and the Middle East. SOAS summer schools grapple with some of the pressing issues — democracy, development, human rights, identity, poverty, religion, social change — confronting these regions and our globalised world.
SOAS Summer Schools last for four days. During each summer school students attend lectures by leading academics, take part in a debate, engage in study skills sessions and receive personal statement advice. Participants meet and work with current students and have a Q&A session with recent graduates.
We have extended the application deadline for our Politics and International Relations, History and Anthropology and Development Studies summer schools for students who meet one of the following criteria:
- First generation in their family to go to university
- Eligible or previously eligible for free school meals
- Experience of local authority care
- From an area of low progression to higher education
The deadline for applications is Friday 31st May 2019. Please apply using this online form.
Please note, the Law Summer School and the Economics Summer School are both full and have a waiting list, therefore we cannot accept any further applications for these programmes.
During June and July of 2019 SOAS will be offering five subject-specific summer schools:
- Politics and International Relations - Tuesday 18th - Friday 21st June 2019
- Law - Tuesday 25th - Friday 28th June 2019
- Economics - Tuesday 2nd - Friday 5th July 2019
- History - Tuesday 9th - Friday 12th July 2019
- Anthropology and Development Studies - Tuesday 16th - Friday 19th July 2019
The SOAS Summer Schools are for students currently in Year 12, attending UK state schools or colleges. They are all free, non- residential (accommodation can be provided in certain circumstances for students from outside of London) and will be held at the Russell Square campus, running approximately 10.00am - 4.30pm each day.
If you have any questions about the summer schools then please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org stating:
- Which summer school you are interested in
- Any questions you have
To get an idea of what a Year 12 summer school at SOAS is like please see the video of the History summer school in 2017:
Year 12 Summer School
Please see below for information on what participants thought of the 2017 summer schools:
SOAS Summer Schools 2017
- "My favourite part was the sessions helping us to prepare for university because they were the most useful parts as well. I really enjoyed the unique lectures"
- "I enjoyed working in a team to produce a presentation and debate, helped to overcome fears of meeting new people and university"
- "I enjoyed meeting new people, the lectures, expanding my knowledge and topics we discussed"
- "I enjoyed the friends I made and also the experience I gained"
- "I enjoyed meeting new people and all the ambassadors. Overall it was a really nice and happy experience."
- "I enjoyed the friendly environment in which we had fun and still got to build our knowledge"
- "I really enjoyed the lectures and all of the activities we did. Everything benefitted me in some way or another"