Online Summer Schools for Year 12s
SOAS, University of London is the only university in the UK specialising in the study of Asia, Africa and the Middle East. SOAS summer schools grapple with some of the pressing issues — democracy, development, human rights, identity, poverty, religion, social change — confronting these regions and our globalised world.
SOAS Online Summer Schools last for two weeks (There will not be live activities every day and sessions are in short sections so you will not need to be available for the whole day). During each summer school students will have a mixture of live online activities, including interactive lectures and study skills sessions as well as access to resources and materials that can be accessed at any time. Students will also have the opportunity to have a live Q&A with recent alumni and current SOAS students and will complete a group project with peers, supported by student ambassadors.
During June and July of 2020 SOAS will once again be offering five summer schools. Please click on the individual links for more details and application forms:
- Politics and International Relations (Monday 15th June - Thursday 25th June)
- Law (Monday 22nd June - Thursday 2nd July)
- Economics (Monday 29th June - Thursday 9th July)
- History (Monday 6th July - Thursday 16th July)
- Anthropology and Development Studies (Monday 13th July - Thursday 23rd July)
The SOAS Summer Schools are for students currently in Year 12, attending UK state schools or colleges. They are all free and will be run online with live activities on every other day. Students will need to complete some tasks outside of the live sessions.
We have reopened applications for all programmes for students who meet at least one of the following criteria:
- First generation in family to attend university in the UK
- Eliglible or previously eligible for free school meals
- Experience of local authority care
- From an area of low progression to higher education (as measured by Polar 4 data)
The deadline for applications is Friday 29th May 2020.
If you have any questions about the summer schools then please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org stating:
- Which summer school you are interested in
- Any questions you have
To get an idea of what a Year 12 summer school at SOAS is like please see the video of the History summer school in 2017:
Year 12 Summer School
Please see below for information on what participants thought of the 2019 summer schools:
SOAS Summer Schools 2019
- "I enjoyed learning what lectures are about and what it is like to go to university"
- "Everything gave me an insight. The ambassadors were amazing"
- "I enjoyed the diversity and structure of the programme, although very packed, all parts were informative and fun."
- "I enjoyed meeting new people and learning about topics which I had never done before - the debate was amazing"
- "I enjoyed interacting with people from all walks of life as it gave me a wider perspective"
- "I enjoyed the careers/alumni session because it gave an insight in to life and opportunities after university"
- "I really enjoyed the lectures and all of the activities we did. Everything benefitted me in some way or another"