Online Summer Schools for Year 12s
SOAS, University of London is the only university in the UK specialising in the study of Asia, Africa and the Middle East. SOAS summer schools grapple with some of the pressing issues — democracy, development, human rights, identity, poverty, religion, social change — confronting these regions and our globalised world.
SOAS Online Summer Schools are for students in Year 12. During each summer school students will have a mixture of live online activities, including interactive lectures and study skills sessions as well as access to resources and materials that can be accessed at any time. Students will also have the opportunity to have a live Q&A with recent alumni and current SOAS students and will complete a group project with peers, supported by student ambassadors.
During July and August 2021 SOAS will be offering eight summer schools. Please click on the individual links for more details and application forms:
- Anthropology and Sociology (Monday 5th - Friday 9th July) - Twilight sessions
- Economics (Monday 26th - Friday 30th July)
- School of Arts (Monday 26th - Friday 30th July)
- Politics and International Relations (Monday 26th - Friday 30th July)
- Development Studies (Monday 2nd - Friday 6th August)
- History (Monday 2nd - Friday 6th August)
- Law (Monday 2nd - Wednesday 4th August)
- Finance and Management (Monday 9th - Friday 13th August)
- Capital L Languages and Law (Tuesday 27th - Friday 30th July)
The SOAS Summer Schools are for students currently in Year 12, attending UK state schools or colleges. They are all free and will be run online. Students will need to complete some tasks outside of the live sessions.
Applications are now open for all programmes. You can find the application form here
The deadline for applications is Monday 14th June 2021.
If you have any questions about the summer schools then please e-mail email@example.com stating:
- Which summer school you are interested in
- Any questions you have
To get an idea of what a Year 12 summer school at SOAS is like please see the video of the History summer school in 2017:
Year 12 Summer School
Please see below for information on what participants thought of the 2020 SOAS online summer schools:
SOAS Summer Schools 2020
- "Even though, it was online - I still gained a lot from it, lectures have a nice atmosphere to them. Seminars are fun and the group presentation was lovely. "
- "I really enjoyed working in my group and discussing the topics that we had learned about. It has helped me gain confidence to talk about my opinions and ideas - especially to new people"
- "I enjoyed hearing what the mentors had to say about their personal university experiences and how they have dealt with opportunities, challenges, achievements and more throughout their SOAS university experience. This gives me the confidence to go to uni and experience these moments, learn about the wider world and be a lot more independent and calculated."
- "I enjoyed the lectures because they were really insightful and eye opening to the university learning experience"
- "I enjoyed the lectures and the information given to us during the summer school. I really enjoyed working and bonding with my groupand my student ambassador was really nice to work with. Everything was very useful."
- "I really enjoyed the different seminars and workshops which we did. It gave me a better understanding about how everything works atuniversities and how different it is to college. I always really enjoyed the group work because we got to discuss and give different ideas as well as our own research for the end presentation "
- "From group work sessions to the alumni advice, everything enabled me to have a betterunderstanding of university life as well as the numerous opportunities there is available to us, regardless of what degree you choose to do."
- "The interactiveness of the sessions and lectures was really good"
- "I particularly enjoyed the group work experience as we were able to apply the knowledge from previous lectures and seminars and engage with each other based on this information , gaining different aspects and interpretations of them."
- "The ambassadors and alumni were really excellent at explaining and describing university life and background. The summer school gave me more confidence in university and application because the lectures and talks were very clear on key aspects of them"