Summer Schools for Year 12s
SOAS, University of London is the only university in the UK specialising in the study of Asia, Africa and the Middle East. SOAS summer schools grapple with some of the pressing issues — democracy, development, human rights, identity, poverty, religion, social change — confronting these regions and our globalised world.
SOAS Summer Schools last for four days. During each summer school students attend lectures by leading academics, take part in a debate, engage in study skills sessions and receive personal statement advice. Participants meet and work with current students and have a Q&A session with recent graduates.
During June and July of 2018 SOAS will be offering five subject-specific summer schools in Politics and International Relations, Economics, Law, History and Development Studies.
Dates for each summer school and application details will be published at the end of January 2018.
The SOAS Summer Schools are for students currently in Year 12, attending UK state schools or colleges. They are all free, non- residential (accommodation can be provided in certain circumstances for students from outside of London) and will be held at the Russell Square campus, running approximately 10.00am - 4.00pm each day.
If you have any questions about the summer schools then please e-mail email@example.com stating:
- Which summer school you are interested in
- Any questions you have
To get an idea of what a Year 12 summer school at SOAS is like please see the video of the History summer school in 2017:
Year 12 Summer School
Please see below for information on what participants thought of the 2017 summer schools:
SOAS Summer Schools 2017
- "My favourite part was the sessions helping us to prepare for university because they were the most useful parts as well. I really enjoyed the unique lectures"
- "I enjoyed working in a team to produce a presentation and debate, hepled to overcome fears of meeting new people and university"
- "I enjoyed meeting new people, the lectures, expanding my knowledge and topics we discussed"
- "I enjoyed the friens I made and also the experience I gained"
- "I enjoyed meeting new people and all the ambassadors. Overall it was a really nice and happy experience."
- "I enjoyed the friendly environment in which we had fun and still got to build our knowledge"
- "I really enjoyed the lectures and all of the activities we did. Everything benefitted me in some way or another"