Uniquely combining languages, inter-disciplinary expertise and regional focus, SOAS has the largest concentration in Europe of academic staff leading on the study of Africa, Asia and the Middle East.
A vibrant and exciting place to undertake postgraduate study, SOAS offers a rich diversity of teaching and research, which is reflected in the wide range of subjects.
- Anthropology and Sociology
- China and Inner Asia
- Cultural, Literary and Postcolonial Studies
- Development Studies
- Film Studies
- Financial and Management Studies
- Gender Studies
- History of Art and Archaeology
- International Studies and Diplomacy
- Japan and Korea
- Media Studies
- Near and Middle East
- Politics and International Studies
- Religions and Philosophies
- South Asia
- South East Asia
- Taiwan Studies
- Translation Studies
Language entitlement programme
Postgraduate taught students are entitled to free language classes. The language classes are additional to the regular syllabus and are not for credit. Languages normally available from beginners level include Arabic, Chinese, French, Hebrew, Hindi, Japanese, Korean, Persian, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Turkish and Urdu. For a full list of languages taught at SOAS go to Learn a Language.
Postgraduate Open Evenings
PG Degree Programmes
- A-Z Listing of Taught Masters (PG) Degree Programmes
- Research Degrees (MPhil/PhD)
- Distance Learning Degree Programmes
World renowned library
The SOAS Library is one of only five National Research Libraries in the UK and the world's most important academic library for the study of Asia, Africa and the Middle East. The Library attracts international scholars and holds more than 1.5 million items and extensive electronic resources in more than 400 languages.