Jobs for Students
This section gives you advice on how to go about job hunting and where to look for those vacancies.
Do the basics
Keep a record of your skills and experience. This really saves time when you are tailoring your CV to match a job advert. Visit our CV section to find out more about writing the perfect CV.
Get some experience
Employers are not only interested in your degree - they also want to see that you have other skills. Extra-curricular activities, volunteering, part-time work, internships, vacation work or work experience will boost your CV and can make you stand out from the crowd.
It only takes a few seconds for the employer to evaluate you, so it is important to make a good first impression. Presenting yourself appropriately, being on time and smiling are factors that will work to your advantage. This does not only apply in interview situations, but also when you attend job fairs or employer presentations, company representatives may note down the names of students they chat to and remember them when reading their job applications later.
Do your research
If you know where you can search for jobs, what those jobs entail and how to navigate through the recruitment process, you will feel more confident and in control of your situation. The process of job hunting can be time-consuming. Therefore, if you have enough information and knowledge, you will be able to focus your efforts in a more effective way.
- JobOnline - graduate vacancies, internships and part-time jobs in the UK and abroad.
- SOAS Internships on the Moodle - SOAS exclusive internships on the Careers Service Moodle page.
- Graduate Gateway - The Careers Group, University of London is now part of the Graduate Gateway programme.
- The University of London Temp Agency - A temp agency providing temporary and permanent work opportunities for students.
- Free resources from The Careers Group - a selection of online resources to help with job hunting.
If you'd like to explore different job roles and employers or read more about the job hunting and recruitment processes, have a look at Careers Tagged (SOAS login required.)