Issues in gender and development
- Course Code:
- Unit value:
- Year of study:
- Year 3
- Taught in:
- Term 2
The purpose of this course is to familiarise students with the main analytic debates in the field of gender and development. Four institutional domains (households, family and kinship, the market, the community and the state) through which gender relations are both defined and transformed receive separate attention. An introductory survey of conceptual approaches to gender is followed by a treatment of central topics which include: the move from WID (women in development) to GAD (gender and development) as critical perspectives in development studies, conceptual approaches to households, men and masculinities in development, globalisation and women’s employment, gender, state and governance, women’s movements and state-civil society relations, gender, conflict and post-conflict, and finally an appraisal of prospects for gender-aware planning and empowerment.
Gender roles and gender relations will be examined in the fields of:
- agrarian transformation;
- gender and environment;
- development policies,
- state and institutions;
- gender planning,
- and finally gender consciousness and struggle for change.
Objectives and learning outcomes of the course
By the end of this course students should be able to demonstrate:
- familiarity with key analytic debates in the field of gender and development
- an ability to relate these debates to development theory, policy and practice
- an ability to comprehend and manipulate complex analytical arguments
- an ability to evaluate the impact of development interventions (policies, projects and institutional reform) on issues of gender equity and empowerment.
WorkloadTeaching will take the form of a two hour lecture and a one hour tutorial per week.
Method of assessmentOne two hour written examination which will constitute 60% of the final mark, with the remaining 40% consisting of marks from an assessed essay. Each student will be expected to submit one essay of no more than 4000 words. Resubmission of coursework regulations apply to this course.
The resources for gender and development have expanded a great deal and all relevant UN agencies have websites. Some of you may wish to access UN and other documents. Here are some useful Internet addresses:
- UNIFEM on the World Wide Web 'Sharing Information on the Road to Empowerment'
- Women Watch, the UN Internet Gateway on the Advancement and Empowerment of Women
- UNRISD Occasional papers, UN Fourth World Conference on Women
- Jackson, C. and Pearson, R. (eds) (1998) Feminist Visions of Development (Routledge).
- McDowell, L. and Sharp, J.P. (eds) (1997) Space, Gender and Knowledge (Arnold).
- Visvanathan, N. et al (1997) The Women, Gender and Development Reader (Zed Books).
- Sparr, P. (ed.) Mortgaging Women’s Lives: Feminist Critiques of Structural Adjustment (Zed)