Advanced Turkish/English/Turkish Translation
- Module Code:
- Unit value:
- Year of study:
- Year 3, Year 3 of 4 or Year 4 of 4
- Taught in:
- Full Year
This course is aimed at final-year undergraduates with a view to helping them take their accumulated language skills to the standards expected of a professional translator. At the end of the course students should be able to translate texts on a wide range of topics containing highly complex grammatical structures.
The prerequisite of the course is an advanced level of competence inTurkish (equivalent to successful completion of the Year Abroad in Turkey). An assessment test may be required for non-Turkish BA students.
Objectives and learning outcomes of the module
At the end of the course a student should be able to translate texts (Turkish and English) on a wide range of topics containing highly complex grammatical structures. The course aims to enhance the written and reading skills of the students through the grammatical study and translation of texts from a range of sources. By the end of the course students should be able to produce reliable translations of texts chosen from a wide range of genres (newspaper and journal articles, literary texts (short stories, novels), legal texts etc and in a variety of styles and registers, including highly complex syntactic structures.
Total of 22 weeks teaching with 2 hours classroom contact per week.
Scope and syllabus
The course will normally consist of two hours of classwork per week. There is a heavy workload of translation throughout the course and students are also expected to prepare regular essay assignments in Turkish. Students are expected to produce work that is grammatically accurate using the whole range of vocabulary and idiomatic expressions appropriate in all topics. Emphasis is placed on technical and specialist vocabulary.
Method of assessment
One written examination in May-June (80% of the final mark); two translations of approximately 3000 words each, due on the last day of Term 2 and the first day of Term 3 respectively (together 20%).
- Berk, Özlem, 2004. Translation and Westernisation in Turkey: from the 1840s to the 1980s. Istanbul: Ege.
- Berk, Özlem, 2006. "Translating the “West”: The Position of Translated Western Literature within the Turkish Literary Polysystem", Revue des Littératures de l’Union Européenne 4:1 -18.
- Gencan, T.N., 1975. Dilbilgisi. Ankara: Türk Dil Kurumu.
- Lewis, Geoffery, 2000. Turkish Language Reform: A catastrophic success. Oxford.
- Paker, Saliha, 1986. «Translated European Literature in the Late Ottoman Literary Polysystem», New Comparison, n. 1, p. 67-82.
- Paker, Saliha, 2004. "Reading Turkish Novelists and Poets in English Translation: 2000-2004." Translation Review, 68: 6-18.
- Paker, Saliha, ed., 2002. Translations: (re)shaping of literature and culture, Istanbul: Boğaziçi University Press.
- Türk Dili Çeviri Özel Sayısı, Ankara: TDK.