Welcome to the Japan Research Centre
The Japan Research Centre (JRC) has been the forum for Japan -related research activities at SOAS since 1978. The JRC develops and coordinates academic research and teaching, drawing upon the expertise of the Japan specialists who are based in various departments throughout the School.
- 10 Sep British Association for Japanese Studies (BAJS) Annual Conference 2015
- 10 Sep The Tale of Genji Theatre Recital: A Fleeting Spring Dream
- 07 Oct Title TBC
We have come to the end of academic year 2014-15, and I am left wondering how it all went so fast. I want to take this opportunity to thank all JRC Members, Associates, Visiting Scholars, and fans on our JRC Facebook page for helping to make this an amazing year. Thank you all.
I will be temporarily handing the reigns over to Dr Helen Macnaughtan, who will serve as Acting Chair while I am on research leave to Humboldt University of Berlin next academic year. Helen has been an active and productive member of the Steering Committee these past several years and I am certain that her energy and drive will make her a terrific Chair of the JRC too.
Indeed, we have a great line-up of lectures, seminars and events planned for the Centre next year. I hope you all will actively join in the JRC’s year-long celebration of 75 years of Japanese Studies at SOAS, beginning with the Triannual Meeting of the British Association for Japanese Studies to be hosted here at SOAS 10-11 September 2015.
Dr Christopher Gerteis
Chair, Japan Research Centre
SOAS Studies in Modern and Contemporary Japan
Published by Bloomsbury, the series features scholarly books on Japan, showcasing new research monographs as well as translations of scholarship not previously available in English.
Academic StaffWith one of the largest concentration of Japan specialists outside Japan the fields covered by academic members of staff include anthropology, art and archaeology, drama, economics, geography, history, language and literature, law, media, music, linguistics, politics, religion and sociology.
JRC Steering Committee
- With over 500 hundred undergraduates and over 100 hundred postgraduates at SOAS whose interdisciplinary studies include an aspect centred on Japan or Japanese no other institution in Europe has such a high concentration of students with a focus on the field.
- The SOAS library holds some 160,000 monographs for Japanese studies.
- Editorialship of the highly prestigious journal Japan Forum will be taken on by 4 SOAS faculty members from Sept 2014 - Sept 2017.
Awards and Scholarships
The JRC is pleased to invite applications to:
- Kayoko Tsuda Bursary (Japanese Studies)
- Meiji Jingu Scholarships
- Meiji Jingu Japanese Studies Research Grants for SOAS Staff
- SOAS Japan Research Centre Small Grants
Recent publications by the members of the JRC: