Welcome to the Japan Research Centre
The Japan Research Centre (JRC) has been the forum for Japan -related research activities at SOAS since 1978. The JRC develops and coordinates academic research and teaching, drawing upon the expertise of the Japan specialists who are based in various departments throughout the School.
- 03 Sep Gambarou Nippon – Imagi(ni)ng Japan post 3/11
- 01 Oct Title TBC
- 15 Oct Patriotic Service or Youth Exploitation? Japanese Students and the Wartime Labor Service, 1941–45
SOAS Studies in Modern and Contemporary Japan
Published by Bloomsbury, the series features scholarly books on Japan, showcasing new research monographs as well as translations of scholarship not previously available in English.
My term as Chair of the JRC is about to come to an end. An election procedure recently took place among Japan-related SOAS academics, and I am delighted to announce that Christopher Gerteis was selected, and he has agreed to take on the position. He will start as new JRC Chair from the forthcoming academic year. There are many new and exciting avenues of research for the JRC to explore, and I believe that Chris is ideally placed to lead us forward.
Dr Steve Dodd
Academic StaffWith one of the largest concentration of Japan specialists outside Japan the fields covered by academic members of staff include anthropology, art and archaeology, drama, economics, geography, history, language and literature, law, media, music, linguistics, politics, religion and sociology.
JRC Steering Committee
JRC Academic Staff Publications
- JRC Annual Review: reports retrospectively on the activities of the Centre and its members.
- Awards & Grants: the JRC is pleased to invite applications to:
- SOAS Occasional Translations in Japanese Studies: series publishes translations of in-depth work from all disciplines as they relate to the study of Japan.
- Japan Forum: official journal of the British Association for Japanese Studies.