Welcome to the Japan Research Centre
The Japan Research Centre (JRC) has been the forum for Japan -related research activities at SOAS since 1978. The JRC develops and coordinates academic research and teaching, drawing upon the expertise of the Japan specialists who are based in various departments throughout the School.
- 17 Feb The Birth of the Department Store in Early 20th Century Japan: Mitsukoshi and Consumer Culture Lifestyles
- 24 Feb Reckoning with the 20th Century: 60 Years of Tomiyama Taeko's Art
- 02 Mar Re-sensing Kawabata in the 21st century - with a focus on House of the Sleeping Beauties and One Arm
100 Years of Japanese Studies at SOAS
A special event marking 100 years of Japanese Studies was held at SOAS on 1 February 2016. The discussion focused on the story of the Dulwich Boys and their achievements, as well as celebrating the expansion and diversity of Japanese studies over subsequent decades. Watch the 'Dulwich Boys and Beyond: 100 Years of Japanese Studies at SOAS' panel discussion
The story of the Dulwich Boys, a group of young men who studied Japanese at SOAS, University of London during the Second World War, has been featured in the BBC’s Magazine. Read the full story of the Dulwich Boys
SOAS Studies in Modern and Contemporary Japan
Published by Bloomsbury, the series features scholarly books on Japan, showcasing new research monographs as well as translations of scholarship not previously available in English.
Japan Economy Network
The Japan Economy Network (JEN) was established in July 2015 to promote research on the Japanese economy in comparative perspective and facilitate exchange between researchers with an active research interest in the Japanese Economy. The JEN is an informal network open to researchers from academia, think tanks, international organisations, central banks, governments, NGOs and the private sector. JEN is hosted by SOAS, University of London.
Academic StaffWith one of the largest concentration of Japan specialists outside Japan the fields covered by academic members of staff include anthropology, art and archaeology, drama, economics, geography, history, language and literature, law, media, music, linguistics, politics, religion and sociology.
JRC Steering Committee
- With over 1000 undergraduate and postgraduate students at SOAS whose interdisciplinary studies include an aspect centred on Japan or Japanese no other institution in Europe has such a high concentration of students with a focus on the field.
- The SOAS library holds some 160,000 monographs for Japanese studies.
- Editorialship of the highly prestigious journal Japan Forum was taken on by 4 SOAS faculty members from Sept 2014 - Sept 2017.
Awards and Scholarships
The JRC is pleased to invite applications to:
- Meiji Jingu Japanese Studies Research Scholarships
- Sasakawa Postgraduate Studentship
- Meiji Jingu Japanese Studies Research Grants for SOAS Staff
- SOAS Japan Research Centre Small Grants
Recent publications by the members of the JRC: