Welcome to the Centre of Korean Studies
Created in 1987 with the kind support of the Korea Research Foundation, and subsequently the Korea Foundation, the Centre has been the leading academic centre of its kind in Great Britain since its establishment. It coordinates work done on Korea in various departments of the School, and offers expert knowledge and advice on Korea to interested outside parties.
- SOAS was the first British university to initiate Korean Studies in the late 1940s.
- In 2006, the Centre became the first European beneficiary of the 'Korean Studies Institution Grant'.
- The BA Korean degree (single and joint), combines study of the written and spoken language along with lecture courses that focus on Korean culture, society, literature, and history.
- The Library holds some 80,000 monographs for Korean studies.
SOAS-AKS Working Papers in Korean Studies II
The SOAS-AKS Working Papers in Korean Studies (II) are an outlet for research-in-progress by European, Korean and Global scholarship. Open to a wide range of contributions in the field of Korean Studies, it is particularly aimed at the dissemination of research that has been conducted or presented under the auspices of the AKS Overseas Leading University programmes in Korean Studies.
The largest concentration of Korean specialists in Europe.
- 10 Oct Deconstructing Boundaries: Is 'East Asian Art History' possible?
- 23 Oct Sejong Institute Korean Cultural Event: Experience Korean Rice Wine
- 30 Oct The Spec Generation Who Can’t Say 'No': Overeducated and Underemployed Youth in Contemporary South Korea
Awards & Grants
Academy of Korean Studies Postgraduate Bursary
Two bursaries for students undertaking a postgraduate Korean Studies programme - currently valued at the UK/EU tuition fees rate up to a maximum of £5,000.
One scholarship for students undertaking a full-time post-graduate programme in Korean Studies. - currently valued at £7,000.
Korea At SOAS
Korea at SOAS, the Centre of Korean Studies Annual Review is produced by the Centre and is published once a year (September). Korea at SOAS reports the activities of the Centre and its member and lists past and forthcoming events in SOAS.
Current issue: Korea at SOAS: Issue 6