Dr Lucy Durán
BMus, MMus(London), PhD(London)
Senior Lecturer in African Music
- Dr Lucy Durán
- Email address:
- 020 7898 4374
- 020 7898 4699
- SOAS, University of London
Thornhaugh Street, Russell Square, London WC1H 0XG
- Russell Square: College Buildings
- Office No:
- Office Hours:
- Tuesdays 3.15-5.15pm
- Atlantic Africa: (P)Layers of Mediation in African Popular Music (PG)
- Atlantic Africa: (P)Layers of Mediation in African Popular Music (UG)
- Music in the Mande Cultural World
- Music, Place and Politics in Cuba
- Presenting World Music On Radio
- Sounds and Cultures 1: Africa, the Jewish World, West and Central Asia
- The World of Cuban Music
PhD Students supervised
- Crispin Robinson, Technicians of the Sacred: Generating transcendence in Afro-Cuban orisha worship. An ethnography of praxis in bata drumming.
- Hannah Bates,
- Michele Banal, Mapping of professional music making in Bamako.
- Violeta Ruano-Posada, Re-imagining the sound of a nation in exile: new processes of music production and the politics of musical mediation in Saharawi culture.
For help in contacting SOAS academics and advice on services to business and the community, please contact SOAS Enterprise on +44(0)20 7898 4837 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
For all press and media enquiries please call +44 (0)20 7898 4135 or email email@example.com
- Special Study Programmes
- Short Term Consultancy
- Long Term Consultancy
Duran, Lucy and Furniss, Graham, eds. (1999) Sunjata, Gambian versions of the Mande epic by Bamba Suso and Banna Kanuteh. London: Penguin.
Duran, Lucy (2006) 'Mali: gold dust by the river.' In: Broughton, Simon and Ellingham, Mark and Lusk, Jon, (eds.), The Rough Guide to World Music. 3rd edition. Africa and the Middle East. London: Penguin, pp. 219-238.
Duran, Lucy (2000) 'Women, music and the ''mystique'' of hunters in Mali.' In: Monson, I, (ed.), The African Diaspora: a musical perspective. Garland Publishing (NY), pp. 137-86.
Duran, Lucy (2013) 'Poyi! Bamana jeli music, Mali, and the blues.' Journal of African Cultural Studies, 25 (2). pp. 211-246.
Duran, Lucy (2011) 'Music production as tool of research, and impact.' Ethnomusicology Forum, 20 (2). pp. 229-232.
Duran, Lucy (2008) 'The kora: tales of a frontier instrument.' World Circuit Records .
Duran, Lucy (2007) 'Ngaraya: Women and Musical Mastery in Mali.' Bulletin of the School of Oriental and African Studies, 70 (3). pp. 569-602.
Duran, Lucy (2003) 'Mali’s songbird, Oumou Sangaré, & Radio as research.' BBC Radio 3 documentary .
Duran, Lucy (1995) 'Birds of Wasulu: freedom of expression and expressions of freedom in the popular music of southern Mali.' British Journal of Ethnomusicology, 4 . pp. 101-134.
Duran, Lucy (producer) (2009) Bassekou Kouyate and Ngoni Ba / I speak Fula. Out Here Records. [Audio]
Duran, Lucy (producer) (2007) Mano Suave: Yasmin Levy. Harmonia Mundi/World Village. [Audio]
Duran, Lucy (producer) (2007) Bassekou Kouyate and Ngoni Ba / Segu blue. Out Here Records. [Audio]
Duran, Lucy (producer) (2003) Paraiso de gumbe: Manecas Costa. BBC Late Junction. [Audio]
Duran, Lucy (producer) (2003) Kassi Kasse: music from the heart of Mali’s griot tradition: Kasse Mady Diabate. Discos Corason, EMI Hemisphere. [Audio]
Duran, Lucy (2013) Do farala a kan: something has been added. Growing into music in Mande griot culture. . Available from http://www.growingintomusic.co.uk.
Duran, Lucy (2012) Growing into Music: Childhood music learning in India, Azerbaijan, Mali, Cuba, Venezuela. . Available from http://www.growingintomusic.co.uk.