Dr Lucy Durán
BMus, MMus(London), PhD(London)
Senior Lecturer in African Music
- Dr Lucy Durán
- Email address:
- 020 7898 4374
- 020 7898 4699
- SOAS, University of London
Thornhaugh Street, Russell Square, London WC1H 0XG
- Russell Square: College Buildings
- Office No:
- Office Hours:
- Tuesdays 3.15-5.15pm
- Atlantic Africa: (P)Layers of Mediation in African Popular Music (PG)
- Atlantic Africa: (P)Layers of Mediation in African Popular Music (UG)
- Music in the Mande Cultural World
- Music, Place and Politics in Cuba
- Presenting World Music On Radio
- Sounds and Cultures 1: Africa, the Jewish World, West and Central Asia
- The World of Cuban Music
PhD Students supervised
- Crispin Robinson, Technicians of the Sacred: Generating transcendence in Afro-Cuban orisha worship. An ethnography of praxis in bata drumming.
- Hannah Bates,
- Michele Banal, Mapping of professional music making in Bamako.
- Violeta Ruano-Posada, 'Music is the new battlefield': music creativity as a way to address conflict among Saharawi youth.
For help in contacting SOAS academics and advice on services to business and the community, please contact SOAS Enterprise on +44(0)20 7898 4837 or email email@example.com.
For all press and media enquiries please call +44 (0)20 7898 4135 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Special Study Programmes
- Short Term Consultancy
- Long Term Consultancy
Duran, Lucy and Furniss, Graham, eds. (1999) Sunjata, Gambian versions of the Mande epic by Bamba Suso and Banna Kanuteh. London: Penguin.
Duran, Lucy (2006) 'Mali: gold dust by the river.' In: Broughton, Simon and Ellingham, Mark and Lusk, Jon, (eds.), The Rough Guide to World Music. 3rd edition. Africa and the Middle East. London: Penguin, pp. 219-238.
Duran, Lucy (2000) 'Women, music and the ''mystique'' of hunters in Mali.' In: Monson, I, (ed.), The African Diaspora: a musical perspective. Garland Publishing (NY), pp. 137-86.
Duran, Lucy (2013) 'Poyi! Bamana jeli music, Mali, and the blues.' Journal of African Cultural Studies, 25 (2). pp. 211-246.
Duran, Lucy (2011) 'Music production as tool of research, and impact.' Ethnomusicology Forum, 20 (2). pp. 229-232.
Duran, Lucy (2008) 'The kora: tales of a frontier instrument.' World Circuit Records .
Duran, Lucy (2007) 'Ngaraya: Women and Musical Mastery in Mali.' Bulletin of the School of Oriental and African Studies, 70 (3). pp. 569-602.
Duran, Lucy (2003) 'Mali’s songbird, Oumou Sangaré, & Radio as research.' BBC Radio 3 documentary .
Duran, Lucy (1995) 'Birds of Wasulu: freedom of expression and expressions of freedom in the popular music of southern Mali.' British Journal of Ethnomusicology, 4 . pp. 101-134.
Duran, Lucy (producer) (2009) Bassekou Kouyate and Ngoni Ba / I speak Fula. Out Here Records. [Audio]
Duran, Lucy (producer) (2007) Mano Suave: Yasmin Levy. Harmonia Mundi/World Village. [Audio]
Duran, Lucy (producer) (2007) Bassekou Kouyate and Ngoni Ba / Segu blue. Out Here Records. [Audio]
Duran, Lucy (producer) (2003) Paraiso de gumbe: Manecas Costa. BBC Late Junction. [Audio]
Duran, Lucy (producer) (2003) Kassi Kasse: music from the heart of Mali’s griot tradition: Kasse Mady Diabate. Discos Corason, EMI Hemisphere. [Audio]
Duran, Lucy (2013) Do farala a kan: something has been added. Growing into music in Mande griot culture. . Available from http://www.growingintomusic.co.uk.
Duran, Lucy (2012) Growing into Music: Childhood music learning in India, Azerbaijan, Mali, Cuba, Venezuela. . Available from http://www.growingintomusic.co.uk.