Dr Subir Sinha
BA (Delhi); MA, PhD (Northwestern)
Senior Lecturer in Institutions and Development
Academic Staff, SOAS South Asia Institute
Member, SOAS Food Studies Centre
Research Cluster Member
Research Cluster Member
- Dr Subir Sinha
- Email address:
- 020 7898 4495
- SOAS, University of London
Thornhaugh Street, Russell Square, London WC1H 0XG
- Russell Square: College Buildings
- Office No:
BiographyHe studied History at the University of Delhi (BA) and Political Science at Northwestern University (MS, PhD), and has taught at Northwestern University and the University of Vermont. His research interests are institutional change, sustainable development, social movements, state-society relations in development, and South Asian politics, with a current focus on decentralised development in India, early postcolonial planning, and on the global fishworkers' movement.
- Civil society, social movements and the development process
- Social Movements, Civil Society and Development (MSc RID)
- Themes in contemporary development: civil society & social movements
- Theory, policy and practice of development
PhD Students supervised
- Amrita Lamba, Strong State-Society Synergy for Inclusive Natural Resources Governance: Comparing Brazil and South Africa
- Aruna Pandey, Institutional Models to Resolve Conflicts over Natural Resource Governance: Role of Community Enterprises and Solidarity Economy
- Musa Mckee, ‘Just Add Water’ - The Alchemy of Authoritarian Rule in Large-Scale Agricultural and Residential Developments in Egyptian Deserts during the Mubarak Era. (working title)
- Nina Kaysser, (working title): Economic growth and Hindu-Muslim violence
- Sruthi Herbert, Citizenship at the intersections: Caste, Gender, and Class in India
- Tom Henderson, The agrarian question, the corporate food regime and peasant organizing in Mexico and Ecuador
- Umut Onder, Possibilities and limits of green economic models under the prevailing global economic order: A critical analysis of commodification and/or financialisation of the environment from the perspective of political economy of the environment.
ResearchInstitutions; international institutions; social movements; sustainable development; NGOs; South Asian Politics; development interventions.
For help in contacting SOAS academics and advice on services to business and the community, please contact SOAS Enterprise on +44(0)20 7898 4837 or email email@example.com.
For all press and media enquiries please call +44 (0)20 7898 4135 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Special Study Programmes
- Short Term Consultancy
- Long Term Consultancy
- South Asia
Sinha, Subir and Baviskar, A. and Philip, K. (2006) 'Rethinking Indian Environmentalism. Industrial Pollution in Delhi and Fisheries in Kerala.' In: Bauer, J., (ed.), Forging Environmentalism. Justice, Livelihood, and Contested Environments. M. E. Sharpe, pp. 189-256.
Sinha, Subir (2005) 'Neo-liberalism & Civil Society: Project & Possibilities.' In: UNSPECIFIED Pluto Press, 163 - 169.
Sinha, Subir (2004) 'Development Counternarratives: Taking Social Movements Seriously.' In: UNSPECIFIED Oxford / Stanford University Press, 286 - 311.
Sinha, Subir (2003) 'Breaking the Waves. Reading World Bank and Social Movement Documents on the Global Fisheries.' In: Kumar, A., (ed.), World Bank Literature. University of Minnesota Press, pp. 111-127.
Sinha, Subir (2003) 'Development Counter-Narratives: Taking Social Movements Seriously.' In: Sivaramakrishnan, K. and Agrawal, A., (eds.), Regional Modernities. Oxford University Press, pp. 286-312.
Sinha, Subir and Baumann, P. (2001) 'Linking Development with Democratic Processes in India: Political Capital and Sustainable Livelihoods Analysis.' Natural Resource Perspectives, Overseas Development Institute, 68 . pp. 2-5.
Sinha, Subir (2000) 'New Traditionalist Discourse of Indian Environmentalism.' Journal of Peasant Studies, 24; 3 . pp. 169-204.
Sinha, Subir (2000) 'The other agrarian transition? Structures, institutions and agency in sustainable rural development.' Journal of Peasant Studies, 26 no2 . pp. 65-99.
Sinha, Subir (2000) 'Panchayati Raj Institutions and Natural Resource Management.' In: Overseas Development Institute. London.