Dr Katherine P Zebiri
BA, PhD (London)
Senior Lecturer in Arabic
- Dr Katherine P Zebiri
- Email address:
- 020 7898 4342
- SOAS, University of London
Thornhaugh Street, Russell Square, London WC1H 0XG
- Russell Square: College Buildings
- Office No:
- On Sabbatical:
- Term 1 2012
BiographyReligious Studies; Arabic
PhD Students supervised
- Farrah Sheikh, The evolving relationship between religion and ethnicity among British Muslims
- Fatima Rajina, The ethno-religious identity of British Bangladeshi Muslims
- Henrik Lindberg, Hansen, The Diversity of Muslim - Christian Dialogue: An Analysis of the Relation between Social and Religious Affiliation and its Impact on Dialogue in Egypt
- Kamal Hussain, Epistemological Congruence of Modernist Thought: a Case Study of Minority Fiqh and Other Related Matters
- Marta Domingue Diaz, The European Budshishiyya, local religiosities of a global Sufi Order Today
- Omar Salha, Islamic Diplomacy and Ethics: Relations between Muslims and non-Muslims in Sport
- Saleema F. Burney, Belief and Benevolence: A Case Study of Muslim Women Activists in London
- Timothy Green, Issues of Identity for First-Generation Christians in Pakistan
- Yusra Khreegi, Gender and "the Woman Question" in the Thought of Muhammad 'Abduh
ResearchContemporary Sufism; Muslims in Britain; conversion to Islam; modern Islamic scholarship; Qur’anic studies; Muslim-Christian relations; religion, spirituality and psychology
For help in contacting SOAS academics and advice on services to business and the community, please contact SOAS Enterprise on +44(0)20 7898 4837 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
For all press and media enquiries please call +44 (0)20 7898 4135 or email email@example.com
- Special Study Programmes
- Short Term Consultancy
- Near and Middle East
Zebiri, Kate (2008) British Muslim Converts: Choosing Alternative Lives. Oxford: Oneworld.
Zebiri, Kate (1997) Muslims and Christians face to face. Oxford: Oneworld.
Zebiri, Kate (1993) Maḥmūd Shaltūt and Islamic modernism. Oxford: Clarendon Press.
Zebiri, Kate (2011) 'Orientalist Themes in Contemporary British Islamophobia.' In: Esposito, John L. and Kalin, Ibrahim, (eds.), Islamophobia: The Challenge of Pluralism in the 21st Century. New York: Oxford University Press.
Zebiri, Kate (2006) 'Argumentation.' In: Rippin, A., (ed.), The Blackwell Companion to the Qur'an. Blackwell, pp. 266-281.
Zebiri, Kate (2004) 'Polemic and Polemical Language.' In: McAuliffe, J., (ed.), Encyclopaedia of the Qur'an. Vol. 4. Leiden: Brill, pp. 114-125.
Zebiri, Kate (2001) 'Muslim Perceptions of Christianity and the West.' In: Ridgeon, L., (ed.), Islamic Interpretations of Christianity. Curzon, pp. 179-203.
Zebiri, Kate (2012) '“Holy Foolishness” and “Crazy Wisdom” as Teaching Styles in Contemporary Western Sufism.' Religion and Literature, 44 (2). pp. 1-30. (In Press)
Zebiri, Kate (2009) 'The Relationship between Seeker and Spiritual Guide as portrayed in Contemporary Western Sufi Autobiographies.' Comparative Islamic Studies, 5 . pp. 297-333.
Zebiri, Kate (2008) 'The Redeployment of Orientalist Themes in Contemporary Islamophobia.' Studies in Contemporary Islam, 10 . pp. 4-44.
Zebiri, Kate (2003) 'Towards a Rhetorical Criticism of the Qur'an.' Journal of Qur'anic Studies, 5 (2). pp. 95-120.
Zebiri, Kate (2000) 'Contemporary Muslim understandings of the miracles of Jesus.' Muslim World, 90 (1-2). pp. 71-90.
Zebiri, Kate (1998) 'Muslim anti-secularist discourse in the context of Muslim-Christian relations.' Islam and Christian-Muslim Relations, 9 (1). pp. 47-64.
Zebiri, Kate (1995) 'Relations between Muslims and Non-Muslims in the thought of Western-educated Muslim intellectuals.' Islam and Christian-Muslim Relations, 6 (2). pp. 255-277.
Zebiri, Kate (1993) 'Islamic Revival in Algeria: An Overview.' Muslim World, 83 (3-4). pp. 203-226.
Zebiri, Kate (1991) 'The fatwas of Mahmud Shaltut (1893-1963).' The Maghreb Review, 16 . pp. 109-124.
Zebiri, Kate (1991) 'Shaykh Mahmud Shaltut: Between Tradition and Modernity.' Journal of Islamic Studies, 2 (2). pp. 210-224.