Dr Lindiwe Dovey
BA (Harvard), PhD (Cantab)
Senior Lecturer in African Film and Performance Arts
- Dr Lindiwe Dovey
- Email address:
- 020 7898 4388
- SOAS, University of London
Thornhaugh Street, Russell Square, London WC1H 0XG
- Russell Square: College Buildings
- Office No:
- On Sabbatical:
- Aspects of African film and video 1
- Aspects of African film and video 2
- Curating Africa: African Film and Video in the Age of Festivals
- Filmmaking and Curatorial Practices in the Age of Festivalization
- South African Film and Visual Culture 1994-2014
- South African Film and Visual Culture: Before and During Apartheid
- Visual Cultures in South Africa: Past and Present
PhD Students supervised
- Benedetta Lanfranchi, SENSUS COMMUNIS IN JUSTICE: A MORAL PARADIGM FROM AFRICAN PHILOSOPHY? Interpreting Acholi Justice Processes through African Epistemologies and Hannah Arendt's Theory of Judgement
- Christine Singer, “Born Free”? Youth and Screen Media in Post-Apartheid South Africa (1994-2012)
- Estrella Sendra Fernandez, A critical analysis of the articulation of culture in Senegal through its cultural festivals.
- Joshua McNamara, Small scale audiovisual production and its relationship with the development and aid sector in Nairobi: an approach toward Kenya's media environment, from the perspective of practice-based research.
- Kate Bolgar Smith, Soundtracks of the City: Listening to Film Music of the African Diaspora in Paris and London
- Michael W. Thomas, Themes and Trends in Ethiopian (Amharic) Cinema: Pioneering Films of the Past and Popular Cinema of the Present-day.
- Nomalanga Masina, Minimizing Friction: The role of private media in the mediation of Zimbabwe’s election politics in 2013
- Robin Steedman, Gendering Production/Producing Gender: An Analysis of Contemporary Kenyan Female Filmmakers
For help in contacting SOAS academics and advice on services to business and the community, please contact SOAS Enterprise on +44(0)20 7898 4837 or email email@example.com.
For all press and media enquiries please call +44 (0)20 7898 4135 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Special Study Programmes
- Short Term Consultancy
- Long Term Consultancy
Dovey, Lindiwe (2009) African Film and Literature: Adapting Violence to the Screen. New York: Columbia University Press.
Dovey, Lindiwe, ed. (2010) Journal of African Cultural Studies. Special issue: African film and video: pleasure, politics, performance, v.22 (1). Routledge: Taylor & Francis Group.
Dovey, Lindiwe, ed. (2010) Journal of African Media Studies. Volume 2 Issue 1. Intellect.
Dovey, Lindiwe (2012) 'Fidelity, Simultaneity and the 'Remaking' of Adaptation Studies.' In: Nicklas, Pascal and Lindner, Oliver, (eds.), Adaptation and Cultural Appropriation: Literature, Film, and the Arts. Berlin/Boston: De Gruyter, pp. 162-185.
Dovey, Lindiwe (2012) 'Storytelling in Contemporary African Fiction Film and Video.' In: Khatib, Lina, (ed.), Storytelling in World Cinemas Volume 1. New York: Columbia University Press, pp. 89-103.
Dovey, Lindiwe and Singer, Christine (2012) 'Representations of African childhood in conflict and post-conflict contexts: Johnny Mad Dog, Ezra, and Sleepwalking Land.' In: Olson, Debbie and Scahill, Andrew, (eds.), Lost and Othered Children in Contemporary Cinema. Plymouth: Lexington Books, pp. 151-174.
Dovey, Lindiwe (2011) 'Film and Postcolonial Writing.' In: Quayson, Ato, (ed.), The Cambridge History of Postcolonial Literature. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, pp. 1039-1067.
Dovey, Lindiwe (2010) 'Directors' Cut: In Defence of African Film Festivals outside Africa.' In: Iordanova, Dina and Cheung, Ruby, (eds.), Film Festival Yearbook 2: Film Festivals and Imagined Communities. St Andrews Film Studies, pp. 45-73.
Dovey, Lindiwe and Dovey, Teresa (2010) 'Coetzee on Film.' In: J.M. Coetzee's Austerities. Surrey, England; Burlington, USA: Ashgate, pp. 57-78.
Dovey, Lindiwe (2008) '"Eyes Wide Shut": Kubrick and the Representation of Gender.' In: Rhodes, Gary, (ed.), Stanley Kubrick: Essays on His Films and Legacy. Jefferson: McFarland.
Dovey, Lindiwe (2005) 'Politicising Adaptation: Re-historicising South African Literature through Fools.' In: Aragay, M., (ed.), Books in Motion. Adaptation, Intertextuality, Authorship. Rodopi, pp. 163-179.
Dovey, Lindiwe (2015) 'Through the Eye of a Film Festival: Toward a Curatorial and Spectator Centered Approach to the Study of African Screen Media.' Cinema Journal, 54 (2). pp. 126-132.
Dovey, Lindiwe (2014) 'Curating Africa: Teaching African Film through the Lens of Film Festivals.' Scope: An online journal of film and television studies, 26 . pp. 6-9.
Dovey, Lindiwe and McNamara, Joshua and Olivieri, Federico (2013) '"From, by, for": Nairobi's Slum Film Festival, film festival studies, and the practices of development.' Jump Cut, 55 .
Dovey, Lindiwe (2013) 'Film Africa 2012: Reflections.' Journal of African Cultural Studies, 25 (1). pp. 122-127.
Dovey, Lindiwe (2012) 'Report on Film Africa: Celebrating African Cinema, 3-13 November 2011.' Journal of African Cultural Studies, 24 (1). pp. 113-120.
Dovey, Lindiwe (2012) 'New Looks: The Rise of African Women Filmmakers.' Feminist Africa, 16 . pp. 18-36.
Dovey, Lindiwe and Impey, Angela (2010) ''African Jim': sound, politics, and pleasure in early 'black' South African cinema.' Journal of African Cultural Studies, 22 (1). pp. 57-73.
Dovey, Lindiwe (2010) 'Editorial: 'African film and video: pleasure, politics, performance'.' Journal of African Cultural Studies, 22 (1). pp. 1-6.
Dovey, Lindiwe and Davies, James (2010) 'Bizet in Khayelitsha: U-Carmen eKhayelitsha as audio-visual transculturation.' Journal of African Media Studies, 2 (1). pp. 39-53.
Dovey, Lindiwe (2010) 'Editorial: Towards interpretation of screen media in Africa.' Journal of African Media Studies, 2 (1). pp. 3-7.
Dovey, Lindiwe (2009) 'Subjects of exile: Alienation in Francophone West African cinema.' International Journal of Francophone Studies .
Dovey, Lindiwe (2007) 'Redeeming Features: From 'Tsotsi' (1980) to 'Tsotsi' (2006).' Journal of African Cultural Studies, 19 (2). pp. 143-164.
Dovey, Lindiwe (2005) 'South African Cinema in Exile.' Journal of Postcolonial Writing, 41 (2). pp. 189-199.
Dovey, Lindiwe (2002) 'Towards an Art of Adaptation: Film and the New Criticism-as-Creation.' Iowa Journal of Cultural Studies, 2 . pp. 51-61.
Dovey, Lindiwe (2011) 'Review of "Men in African Film & Fiction" edited by Lahoucine Ouzgane.' English in Africa, 38 (3). pp. 147-152.
Dovey, Lindiwe (2009) 'Review of 'The Devil you Dance With: Film Culture in the New South Africa'.' Cineaste, 35 (1). pp. 80-82.
Dovey, Lindiwe (2012) Film Africa 2012. [Shows/Exhibitions]
Dovey, Lindiwe (2011) Film Africa 2011: Celebrating African Cinema. [Shows/Exhibitions]
Dovey, Lindiwe (2009) Cambridge African Film Festival 2009. [Shows/Exhibitions]
Dovey, Lindiwe (2013) 'Interview with Rasselas Lakew.' Journal of African Cultural Studies, 25 (1). pp. 107-113.
Dovey, Lindiwe (2013) 'Interview with Davey Frankel: A marathon, not a sprint - the journey of The Athlete towards being seen.' Journal of African Cultural Studies, 25 (1). pp. 105-106.