Dr Gina Heathcote
BA LLB(AUSTRALIA) LLM(WESTMINSTER) PhD(LONDON)
Senior Lecturer in Law
- Dr Gina Heathcote
- Email address:
- 020 7898 4367
- SOAS, University of London
Thornhaugh Street, Russell Square, London WC1H 0XG
- Russell Square: College Buildings
- Office No:
- Office Hours:
- Monday and Thursday 9:30-10:30am
Dr Gina Heathcote - Naming and Shaming: Human Rights Accountability in Security Council Resolution 1960
- Gender, Conflict and Law
- International Law: Contemporary Issues
- LLM in Law and Gender
- MA Gender Studies and Law
- MA Gender and Sexuality
- Research Degrees (MPhil/PhD) in Gender Studies
- Feminist legal theory
- Feminist legal theory
- Foundations of international law
- Gender, Armed Conflict and International Law
- International laws on the use of force
- Public international law
- Research Training in Gender Studies (MPhil/PhD Seminar)
PhD Students supervised
- Alaya Forte, New forms of political inclusion or mere tokenism? Reading political representation from a gender and minority perspective in British and French government (working title)
- Annie Hylton , Working Title: “Women and Jihad: a gendered analysis of international humanitarian law and the participation of female combatants in contemporary situations of violence in the Middle East”
- Biye Gao, Exploring Chinese Mothers' Reproductive Agency (working title)
- Emily Jones, A Feminist analysis of Sovereignty in International Law
- Jessica Kitsell, Queer Cambodia: using queer theory to question the heteronormativity of sex, gender and sexuality in post-conflict Cambodia
- Oreva Olakpe, Working Title: Sovereignty and Migrations: Straddling Human Rights and Security in a Globalized World
- S. Paniz Musawi Natanzi, Young Women’s Visual Knowledge Production in Kabul: Making Contemporary Art in Times of On-going Insecurities
- Sheri Ann Labenski, Working Title: “Women and International Criminal Law: The Importance of Recognizing Women’s Right to Perpetrate Crimes”
- Siavash Eshghi, International Law and Cyberspace: What is International about International Law?
- Sidonia Lucia Kula, The Accountability of States in the Rape and Sexual Violence of Congolese Refugees in Angola.
Heathcote, Gina (2015) Feminist Dialogues on International Law. Oxford University Press. (Forthcoming)
Heathcote, Gina (2011) The Law on the Use of Force: A Feminist Analysis. London: RoutledgeCavendis. (Routledge Research in International Law)
Edited Books or Journal Volumes
Heathcote, Gina and Otto, Dianne, eds. (2014) Rethinking Peacekeeping, Gender Equality and Collective Security. London: Palgrave Macmillian. (Thinking Gender in Transnational Times)
Heathcote, Gina (2016) 'Humanitarian Intervention and Gender Dynamics.' In: Cahn, Naomi and Haynes, Dina and Ni Aolain, Fionnuala and Valji, Nahla, (eds.), Oxford Handbook on Gender and Conflict. Oxford: Oxford University Press. (Forthcoming)
Heathcote, Gina (2015) 'Feminist Perspectives on the Law on the Use of Force.' In: Weller, Marc, (ed.), Oxford University Press Handbook on the Prohibition of the Use of Force. Oxford University Press, pp. 114-128.
Heathcote, Gina (2015) 'Robust Peacekeeping, Gender and the Protection of Civilians.' In: Charlesworth, Hilary and Farrall, Jeremy, (eds.), Strengthening the Rule of Law through the UN Security Council. Routledge. (In Press)
Heathcote, Gina (2014) 'Participation, Gender and Security.' In: Heathcote, Gina and Otto, Dianne, (eds.), Rethinking Peacekeeping, Gender Equality and Collective Security. Palgrave.
Heathcote, Gina (2012) 'Naming and Shaming: Human Rights Accountability in Security Council Resolution 1960 (2010) on Women, Peace and Security.' Journal of Human Rights Practice .
Heathcote, Gina (2011) 'Feminist Politics and the Use of Force: Theorising Feminist Action and Security Council Resolution 1325.' Socio-legal Review, 7 .
Heathcote, Gina (2010) 'Feminist Reflections on the 'End' of the War on Terror.' Melbourne Journal of International Law, 11 (2).
Heathcote, Gina (2005) 'Article 51 Self-Defense as a Narrative: Spectators and Heroes in International Law Symposium: The Power of Stories: Intersections of Law, Literature, and Culture - Transnational Narratives.' Texas Weslayan Law Review, 12 . p. 131.
Conference or Workshop Items
Heathcote, Gina (2012) Working paper No. 5.5 The Security Council and the rule of law: the use of force, robust peacekeeping and gender perspectives,. In: The Use of Force and the Rule of Law, 20th & 21st June 2012, Australian National University, Canberra, ACT, Australia.
Heathcote, Gina (2012) The Politics of Natality: From Formal Equality to the Spectrum of Feminist Thinking. In: International Law and the Periphery, 17th -19th February 2012, The American University in Cairo. (Unpublished)
Heathcote, Gina (2012) Achieving Accountability for Human Rights Violations by Non-state Actors: Challenging Sexual Violence and Creating Paths to Peace. In: 21st Congress of the International Federation of Women in Legal Career, Nov 12th- 16th, Dakar, Senegal. (Unpublished)
Heathcote, Gina Women and children: Robust Peacekeeping, Gender and the Protection of Civilians. In: Centre for European Law and Internationalisation Seminar, 12th February 2014, University of Leicester. (Unpublished)
Heathcote, Gina Women and Children and Elephants: Robust Peacekeeping and Protection Narratives. In: Wisconsin International Law Journal Annual Symposium, 4th-5th April 2014, Madison. (Unpublished)
Heathcote, Gina Gender Experts in the International Realm. In: Feminist Strategy in International Law, International Studies Association , March 2014, Toronto. (Unpublished)
Heathcote, Gina (2014) 'Gender Politics in Transitional Justice (Catherine O'Rourke).' Gender and Development, 22 (1).
Heathcote, Gina (2013) 'Time to Rethink the Women, Peace and Security Agenda?' International Law Grrls .
Heathcote, Gina (2013) 'Thinking Gender and Speaking International Law.' Oxford University Press Blog .