Dr Gina Heathcote
BA LLB(AUSTRALIA) LLM(WESTMINSTER) PhD(LONDON)
Deputy Undergraduate Programme Convenor
Lecturer in Gender Studies
- Dr Gina Heathcote
- Email address:
- 020 7898 4367
- SOAS, University of London
Thornhaugh Street, Russell Square, London WC1H 0XG
- Russell Square: College Buildings
- Office No:
- Office Hours:
- Thursday 11:30 - 1:30
Dr Gina Heathcote - Naming and Shaming: Human Rights Accountability in Security Council Resolution 1960
- Foundations of international law
- Gender, Armed Conflict and International Law
- International law and global orders
- International laws on the use of force
- Public international law
- Research Training in Gender Studies (MPhil/PhD Seminar)
PhD Students supervised
- Annie Hylton , Working Title: “Women and Jihad: a gendered analysis of international humanitarian law and the participation of female combatants in contemporary situations of violence in the Middle East”
- Jessica Kitsell, Queer Cambodia: using queer theory to question the heteronormativity of sex, gender and sexuality in post-conflict Cambodia
- Sheri Ann Labenski, Working Title: “Women and International Criminal Law: The Importance of Recognizing Women’s Right to Perpetrate Crimes”
- Siavash Eshghi,
Heathcote, Gina (2011) The Law on the Use of Force: A Feminist Analysis. London: RoutledgeCavendis. (Routledge Research in International Law)
Heathcote, Gina (2013) 'Feminist Perspectives on the Law on the Use of Force.' In: Weller, Marc, (ed.), Oxford University Press Handbook on the Prohibition of the Use of Force. Oxford University Press. (Forthcoming)
Heathcote, Gina (2012) 'Naming and Shaming: Human Rights Accountability in Security Council Resolution 1960 (2010) on Women, Peace and Security.' Journal of Human Rights Practice .
Heathcote, Gina (2011) 'Feminist Politics and the Use of Force: Theorising Feminist Action and Security Council Resolution 1325.' Socio-legal Review, 7 .
Heathcote, Gina (2010) 'Feminist Reflections on the 'End' of the War on Terror.' Melbourne Journal of International Law, 11 (2).
Heathcote, Gina (2005) 'Article 51 Self-Defense as a Narrative: Spectators and Heroes in International Law Symposium: The Power of Stories: Intersections of Law, Literature, and Culture - Transnational Narratives.' Texas Weslayan Law Review, 12 . p. 131.
Conference or Workshop Items
Heathcote, Gina (2012) Working paper No. 5.5 The Security Council and the rule of law: the use of force, robust peacekeeping and gender perspectives,. In: The Use of Force and the Rule of Law, 20th & 21st June 2012, Australian National University, Canberra, ACT, Australia.
Heathcote, Gina (2012) The Politics of Natality: From Formal Equality to the Spectrum of Feminist Thinking. In: International Law and the Periphery, 17th -19th February 2012, The American University in Cairo. (Unpublished)
Heathcote, Gina (2012) Achieving Accountability for Human Rights Violations by Non-state Actors: Challenging Sexual Violence and Creating Paths to Peace. In: 21st Congress of the International Federation of Women in Legal Career, Nov 12th- 16th, Dakar, Senegal. (Unpublished)
Heathcote, Gina (2013) 'Time to Rethink the Women, Peace and Security Agenda?' International Law Grrls .
Heathcote, Gina (2013) 'Thinking Gender and Speaking International Law.' Oxford University Press Blog .