Dr Gina Heathcote
BA LLB(AUSTRALIA) LLM(WESTMINSTER) PhD(LONDON)
Deputy Undergraduate Programme Convenor
Lecturer in Gender Studies
- Dr Gina Heathcote
- Email address:
- 020 7898 4367
- SOAS, University of London
Thornhaugh Street, Russell Square, London WC1H 0XG
- Russell Square: College Buildings
- Office No:
- Office Hours:
- Thursday 11:30 - 1:30
Dr Gina Heathcote - Naming and Shaming: Human Rights Accountability in Security Council Resolution 1960
- LLM in Law and Gender
- MA Gender Studies and Law - SUBJECT TO APPROVAL
- MA Gender and Sexuality - SUBJECT TO APPROVAL
- Research Degrees (MPhil/PhD) in Gender Studies
- Foundations of international law
- Gender theory and the study of Asia, Africa and the Middle East
- Gender, Armed Conflict and International Law
- International laws on the use of force
- Public international law
- Research Training in Gender Studies (MPhil/PhD Seminar)
PhD Students supervised
- Annie Hylton , Working Title: “Women and Jihad: a gendered analysis of international humanitarian law and the participation of female combatants in contemporary situations of violence in the Middle East”
- Emily Jones, Pushing the boundaries to the limits: how far can the feminist international legal project go?
- Jessica Kitsell, Queer Cambodia: using queer theory to question the heteronormativity of sex, gender and sexuality in post-conflict Cambodia
- Sheri Ann Labenski, Working Title: “Women and International Criminal Law: The Importance of Recognizing Women’s Right to Perpetrate Crimes”
- Siavash Eshghi, International Law and Cyberspace: What is International about International Law?
Heathcote, Gina (2011) The Law on the Use of Force: A Feminist Analysis. London: RoutledgeCavendis. (Routledge Research in International Law)
Heathcote, Gina and Otto, Dianne, eds. (2014) Rethinking Peacekeeping, Gender Equality and Collective Security. Palgrave Macmillian. (Thinking Gender in Transnational Times) (Forthcoming)
Heathcote, Gina (2014) 'Participation, Gender and Security.' In: Heathcote, Gina and Otto, Dianne, (eds.), Rethinking Peacekeeping, Gender Equality and Collective Security. Palgrave. (Forthcoming)
Heathcote, Gina (2013) 'Feminist Perspectives on the Law on the Use of Force.' In: Weller, Marc, (ed.), Oxford University Press Handbook on the Prohibition of the Use of Force. Oxford University Press. (Forthcoming)
Heathcote, Gina (2012) 'Naming and Shaming: Human Rights Accountability in Security Council Resolution 1960 (2010) on Women, Peace and Security.' Journal of Human Rights Practice .
Heathcote, Gina (2011) 'Feminist Politics and the Use of Force: Theorising Feminist Action and Security Council Resolution 1325.' Socio-legal Review, 7 .
Heathcote, Gina (2010) 'Feminist Reflections on the 'End' of the War on Terror.' Melbourne Journal of International Law, 11 (2).
Heathcote, Gina (2005) 'Article 51 Self-Defense as a Narrative: Spectators and Heroes in International Law Symposium: The Power of Stories: Intersections of Law, Literature, and Culture - Transnational Narratives.' Texas Weslayan Law Review, 12 . p. 131.
Conference or Workshop Items
Heathcote, Gina (2012) Working paper No. 5.5 The Security Council and the rule of law: the use of force, robust peacekeeping and gender perspectives,. In: The Use of Force and the Rule of Law, 20th & 21st June 2012, Australian National University, Canberra, ACT, Australia.
Heathcote, Gina (2012) The Politics of Natality: From Formal Equality to the Spectrum of Feminist Thinking. In: International Law and the Periphery, 17th -19th February 2012, The American University in Cairo. (Unpublished)
Heathcote, Gina (2012) Achieving Accountability for Human Rights Violations by Non-state Actors: Challenging Sexual Violence and Creating Paths to Peace. In: 21st Congress of the International Federation of Women in Legal Career, Nov 12th- 16th, Dakar, Senegal. (Unpublished)
Heathcote, Gina (2014) 'Gender Politics in Transitional Justice (Catherine O'Rourke).' Gender and Development, 22 (1).
Heathcote, Gina (2013) 'Time to Rethink the Women, Peace and Security Agenda?' International Law Grrls .
Heathcote, Gina (2013) 'Thinking Gender and Speaking International Law.' Oxford University Press Blog .