Dr Eleanor Newbigin
BA, MPhil, PhD (Cantab)
Senior Lecturer in the History of Modern South Asia
Academic Staff, SOAS South Asia Institute
Member, Centre for Gender Studies
- Dr Eleanor Newbigin
- Email address:
- 020 7898 4625
- 020 7898 4699
- SOAS, University of London
Thornhaugh Street, Russell Square, London WC1H 0XG
- Russell Square: College Buildings
- Office No:
- Office Hours:
- Thursdays 10.30am-12.30pm or by email appointment
I am interested in ideas and practices of citizenship in India, especially during the subcontinent’s transition to independence. My research focuses in particular on the relationship between political economy and religious-based personal law, and I am interested in the ways in which gender and family relationships shape citizenship and people's interaction with the state in South Asia.
- MA Historical Research Methods and Intensive Language
- MA History
- MA History and Intensive Language
- MA in Historical Research Methods
- Dissertation in History
- Dissertation in History: Africa
- Dissertation in History: East Asia
- Dissertation in History: Near and Middle East
- Dissertation in History: South Asia
- Dissertation in History: South East Asia
- Gender, law and the family in the history of modern South Asia
- Sources and Research Design in Historical Research
- The Body and the Making of Colonial Difference in British India
PhD Students supervised
Newbigin, Eleanor (2013) The Hindu family and the emergence of modern India: law, citizenship and community. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. (Cambridge Studies in Indian History and Society)
Newbigin, Eleanor (2011) 'Personal law and citizenship in India’s transition to independence.' Modern Asian Studies, 45 (01). pp. 7-32.
Newbigin, Eleanor (2010) 'A postcolonial patriarchy? Representing family in the Indian nation-state.' Modern Asian Studies, 44 (01). pp. 121-144.
Newbigin, Eleanor (2009) 'The codification of personal law and secular citizenship: revisiting the history of law reform in late colonial India.' Indian Economic and Social History Review, 46 (1). pp. 83-104.
Newbigin, Eleanor and Denault, Leigh and De, Rohit (2009) 'Personal law, identity politics and civil society in colonial South Asia.' Indian Economic and Social History Review, 46 (1). pp. 1-4.