Dr Ulrich Pagel
BA, PhD (London)
Reader, Languages and Religions of Tibet and Central Asia
Member, Centre of Jaina Studies
Academic Staff, Centre of Contemporary Central Asia and the Caucasus
Committee Member, Centre of Buddhist Studies
Academic Staff, SOAS China Institute
Academic Staff, SOAS South Asia Institute
Member, Tibetan Studies Group
Convener, Circle of Tibetan and Himalayan Studies
- Dr Ulrich Pagel
- Email address:
- 020 7898 4782
- SOAS, University of London
Thornhaugh Street, Russell Square, London WC1H 0XG
- Russell Square: College Buildings
- Office No:
- Room 338
- Office Hours:
- Mondays 4-5.30pm
Service in International Associations
- General Secretary, International Association of Buddhist Studies (2011)
- Editor-in-Chief, Bulletin of the School of Oriental and African Studies (2010)
- Buddhism in Central Asia
- Buddhism in Tibet
- Buddhist Meditation in India and Tibet
- Buddhist Monasticism
- Buddhist Philosophy
- Conflict in Compliance: About the Lives of Buddhist Monks in Ancient India
- Dissertation in Buddhist Studies
- Dissertation in the traditions of Yoga and Meditation
- Features of Buddhist Monasticism
- Hinduism: Foundation
- The Buddhist Conquest of Central Asia
- Tibetan Buddhism
- Tibetan Buddhist Texts from Central Asia
- Yoga and Meditation: Perspectives, Context and Methodologies
PhD Students supervised
- Adam Pearcey, The Great Perfection (Rdzogs chen) according to Rdo grub chen ‘Jigs med bstan pa’i nyi ma (1865-1926), his Collaborators & Disciples
- Graham Burns, Neti neti - the Search for the Ultimate Principle in the Vedic Upanisads
- Karen O'Brien-Kop, The non-Brahmanical elements in the Pātañjalayogaśāstra, focussing on soteriological and metaphysical influences from Buddhism and Jainism.
- Meng Wang, The Life of the Sixteenth Karmapa and His Role in the Tibetan Buddhist Transmission to North America and Unitied Kingdom
- Patricia Sauthoff, Open Secrets and the Retention of Power in Kashmir Saivism
- Sayam Patthranuprawat, SUB-STORIES IN THE MAHĀBHĀRATA: SIGNIFICANCE AND NARRATIVE FUNCTIONS
- Serena Biondo, The life and Teachings of the 10th-century Tibetan Master A ro Ye shes ‘Byung gnas"
- Shi Longdu, Buddhism and the State in Medieval China: A Case Study of Three Persecutions of Buddhism in Chinese History, 446-845
- Susan Roach, ‘The Qualities of the Purified’: attitudes towards asceticism in the Mūlasarvāstivāda-vinaya
Research Students Awarded a PhD
- Ligeia Lugli, The Conception of Language in Indian Mahayana Buddhism, with special reference to the La?kavatarasutra (PhD awarded in May 2011, holds now a 2-year research post at Durham University).
- Lewis Doney, The Historical Depictions of King Khri srong lde btsan in Eighth to Twelfth Century Tibet (PhD awarded in March 2011, holds now a 3-year research post at Munich University).
- Jan Westerhoff: Causation in early Madhyamaka Writings (PhD awarded in Sept. 2007, holds now a permanent position at Durham University).
- Osto, Douglas Edward: The Good Friends of the Ga??avyuha: A Study in Wealth, Gender and Power in a Buddhist Narrative (PhD awarded in Sept. 2004: holds now a tenured appointment at Massey University, New Zealand).
- Yoeli Tlalim, Ronit, Contemporary Teachings of the Kalacakratantra in Exile (PhD awarded in Oct, 2003: holds now a permanent lectureship at Goldsmith College (University of London)).
- Shi Zhen Jing: The Literature of the Great Decease: Mahaparinirva?a Materials in Theravada, Mahayana and Taoism (co-supervision, PhD awarded in Sept. 2003).
Mahāyāna Literature, Indo-Tibetan Buddhism, Ancient India, Buddhist Monasticism, Buddhist Philosophy, Traditions of Buddhist Meditation
For help in contacting SOAS academics and advice on services to business and the community, please contact SOAS Enterprise on +44(0)20 7898 4837 or email email@example.com.
For all press and media enquiries please call +44 (0)20 7898 4135 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Short Term Consultancy
- Long Term Consultancy
- East Asia
- South Asia
Pagel, Ulrich (2014) Buddhist Monks in Tax Disputes: Monastic Attitudes towards Revenue Collection in Ancient India. Napoli: Università degli Studi di Napoli “L’Orientale". (Buddhist Asia)
Pagel, Ulrich and Cüppers, Christoph and van der Kuijp, Leonard (2012) Handbook of Tibetan Iconometry: A Guide to the Arts of the 17th Century. Leiden: Brill. (Brill's Tibetan Studies LIbrary)
Pagel, Ulrich (2007) Mapping the Path: Vajrapadas in Mahāyāna Literature. Tokyo: The International Institute for Buddhist Studies. (Studia Philolologica Buddhica)
Pagel, Ulrich and Gaffney, S (1996) Location list to the texts in the Microfiche Edition of the Shel dkar (London) Manuscript bKa'' ''gyur. The British Library (London).
Pagel, Ulrich (1995) The Bodhisattvapitaka: Its Doctrines, Practices and their Position in Mahayana Literature. Tring: The Institute of Buddhist Studies.
Edited Books or Journal Volumes
Dhondup, Yangdon and Pagel, Ulrich and Samuel, Geoffrey, eds. (2013) Monastic and Lay Traditions in North-Eastern Tibet. Leiden: Brill. (Brill's Tibetan Studies Library)
Pagel, Ulrich and Skorupski, Tadeusz, eds. (1994) The Buddhist Forum III: Papers in honour and appreciation of Professor David Seyfort Ruegg's contribution to Indological, Buddhist and Tibetan Studies. London: School of Oriental and African Studies. (The Buddhist Forum)
Pagel, Ulrich (2007) 'Stūpa Festivals in Buddhist Narrative Literature.' In: Klaus, Konrad and Hartmann, Jens-Uwe, (eds.), Indica et Tibetica : Festschrift für Michael Hahn zum 65. Vienna: Arbeitskreis für Tibetische und Buddhistische Studien Universität Wien, pp. 369-394. (Wiener Studien zur Tibetologie und Buddhismuskunde)
Pagel, Ulrich and Braarvig, Jens (2006) 'Fragments of the Bodhisattvapiṭaka.' In: Braarvig, Jens, (ed.), Buddhist manuscripts 3. Oslo: Hermes Publishing, pp. 11-89. (Manuscripts in the Schøyen Collection; 7)
Pagel, Ulrich (2001) 'The Sacred Writings of Buddhism.' In: Harvey, P., (ed.), Themes in Religious Studies: Buddhism. London: Pinter Publishing, pp. 9-63. (Themes in Religious Studies)
Pagel, Ulrich (1997) 'The Tibetica of the British Library: A Historical Survey.' In: Krasser, H., (ed.), Tibetan Studies: Proceedings of the 7th Seminar of the International Association for Tibetan Studies, Schloss Segau 1995. Vol.2. Vienna: Verlag der Österreichischen Akademie der Wissenschaften, pp. 725-732.
Pagel, Ulrich (1994) 'The Bodhisattvapitaka and Aksayamatinirdesa: Continuity and Change in Buddhist Sutras.' In: The Buddhist Forum III. School of Oriental and African Studies, pp. 333-373.
Pagel, Ulrich (2007) 'The Dhāraṇī of Mahāvyutpatti #748: Origin and Formation.' Buddhist Studies Review, 24 (2). pp. 151-191.
Pagel, Ulrich (2006) 'About Ugra and his Friends: a Recent Contribution on Early Mahayana Buddhism. A review article.' Journal of the Royal Asiatic Society, 16 (1). pp. 73-82.
Pagel, Ulrich (1999) 'Three Bodhisattvapitaka Fragments from Tabo: Observations on a West Tibetan Manuscript Tradition.' Journal of the International Association of Buddhist Studies, 22,1 . pp. 167-210.
Pagel, Ulrich (1996) 'Location list to the texts in the microfiche edition of the Śel dkar (London) Manuscript bKa' 'gyur (Or. 6724): compiled from the microfiche edition in conjunction with the original Tibetan manuscript.' London: The British Library.