Professor Charles R H Tripp
BA (Oxford) MSc, PhD (London)
Professor of Politics with reference to the Middle East
- Professor Charles R H Tripp
- Email address:
- 020 7898 4748
- SOAS, University of London
Thornhaugh Street, Russell Square, London WC1H 0XG
- Russell Square: College Buildings
- Office No:
- Office Hours:
- Wednesdays 10- 12
Charles Tripp is Professor of Politics with reference to the Middle East and a Fellow of the British Academy. His research interests include the nature of autocracy, state and resistance in the Middle East, the politics of Islamic identity and the relationship between art and power. He is currently working on a study of the emergence of the public and the rethinking of republican ideals across the states of North Africa. Together with other colleagues in the department he has been one of the founders of the Centre for Comparative Political Thought at SOAS.
His publications include Islam and the Moral Economy: The Challenge of Capitalism (Cambridge University Press, 2006); A History of Iraq (Cambridge University Press, 2007) His most recent book is The Power and the People: Paths of Resistance in the Middle East (Cambridge University Press, 2013)
- Political violence
- Politics of resistance in the Middle East
- State and transformation in the Middle East
PhD Students supervised
- Ahrum Yoo, Exit Marx, Enter Khomeini: The shift of ideological frame from Leftism to Political Islam of Maoist Fatah Student Brigade (MFB) in Lebanon in 1970s-1980s
- Alia Al-Senussi,
- Amir Khnifess, The Collective Action of the Druze in Israel: Between Politics of Accommodation and Politics of Contention
- Benjamin Schuetze, Unforeseen and Contradictory Consequences of US and European Democracy Promotion in Jordan
- Dominique Oliver,
- Ed Marques , Libyan Revolutionary Diplomacy: February to December 2011
- Edwige Aimee Fortier, Powerful Publics: Civil Society, Tunisia, and the Transition to Democracy (2011-2013)
- Emanuelle Degli Esposti, Through the Fractured Looking Glass: Power, Subjectivity and the State in the Iraqi Shi’a Diaspora
- Jack Joy, Spectacular Resistance: Repertoires of Power in the Discourses of Hizbullah
- James Eastwood, The ethics of Israeli militarism: conflict and confession since 1982
- James H. Sunday, In the Shadow of the Pyramids: Power, Politics, and Participation in Contemporary Egypt
- Jamil Mouawad, Lebanon: The Negotiated State (Working Title)
- Khaled Shaalan, The Political Agency and Role of the Egyptian Upper Middle Class
- Marwa Salem Mamdou, The Feeble Giant: Analysing Egypt’s Foreign policy towards some African issues
- Mathilde Zederman, The political space of Tunisian emigration in France (1960s – present)
- Natasa Kubikova,
- Rounwah Bseiso, Working Title: Contesting the Role and Relationship of Art and the Political in the Streets of Cairo
- Salam Karam, Constitution-making process in Iraq
- Thanos Petouris, The Anti-Colonial Movement in Aden and the Protectorates of South Arabia, 1937-1967
Middle East: states and ideologies, war and resistance, Islamic and comparative political thought
The nature of autocracy and the sociology of power
Art and Power
For help in contacting SOAS academics and advice on services to business and the community, please contact SOAS Enterprise on +44(0)20 7898 4837 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
For all press and media enquiries please call +44 (0)20 7898 4135 or email email@example.com
- Special Study Programmes
- Near and Middle East
Tripp, Charles (2013) The Power and the People: paths of resistance in the Middle East. Cambridge; New York: Cambridge University Press.
Tripp, Charles (2009) Historia Iraku. Warsaw: Ksiazka i Wiedza.
Tripp, Charles (2007) A History of Iraq (3rd edition). Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
Tripp, Charles (2006) Islam and the Moral Economy: the challenge of capitalism. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
Tripp, Charles (2006) Sahafat min ta'rikh al-`iraq al-mu`asir. Beirut: Arab Scientific Publishers.
Tripp, Charles (2003) Storia dell'Iraq. Bompiani (Italy).
Tripp, Charles (2003) Historia do Iraque. Publicacoes Europa-America (Portugal).
Tripp, Charles (2003) Historia de Iraq. Cambridge University Press (Spain).
Tripp, Charles (2002) Irak - Een Geschiedenis. Bulaaq (Netherlands).
Tripp, Charles (2002) A History of Iraq - Second Edition. Cambridge University Press (UK).
Tripp, Charles (2000) A History of Iraq. CUP.
Tripp, Charles and Chubin, S (1996) Iran-Saudi Arabia Relations and Regional Order. OUP for Int. Institute for Strategic Studies.
Tripp, Charles (2014) 'The Politics of Resistance and the Arab Uprisings.' In: Gerges, Fawaz A., (ed.), The New Middle East: protest and revolution in the Arab World. New York: Cambridge University Press, pp. 135-154.
Tripp, Charles (2012) 'Acting and acting out: Conceptions of political participation in the Middle East.' In: Freeden, Michael and Vincent, Andrew, (eds.), Comparative Political Thought: Theorizing Practices. London: Routledge. (Routledge Studies in Comparative Political Thought)
Tripp, Charles (2010) 'West Asia from the First World War.' In: Robinson, Francis, (ed.), The Islamic World in the Age of Western Dominance. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, pp. 336-371. (The New Cambridge History of Islam; Volume 5)
Tripp, Charles (2008) 'The Security Council and the Iran-Iraq War.' In: Lowe, Vaughan and Roberts, Adam and Welsh, Jennifer and Zaum, Dominik, (eds.), The United Nations Security Council and War. Oxford; New York: Oxford University Press, pp. 368-383.
Tripp, Charles (2007) ''In the Name of the People'. The 'People's Court' and the Iraqi Revolution (1958-1960).' In: Strauss, J. C. and Cruise O'Brien, D. B., (eds.), Staging Politics. Power and Performance in Asia and Africa. I.B. Tauris, pp. 31-48.
Tripp, Charles (2007) 'Islam and the Contingency of Politics.' In: Almquist, Kurt, (ed.), The Secular State and Islam in Europe. Stockholm, Sweden: Axel & Margaret Ax:son Johnson Foundation, pp. 81-96.
Tripp, Charles (2002) 'L'Irak et la guerre de 1948: une image du désordre en Irak.' In: L., E and Shlaim, A, (eds.), La Guerre de Palestine: derriere le mythe 1948. Editions Autrement (France), pp. 119-148.
Tripp, Charles (2002) 'The Foreign Policy of Iraq.' In: Hinnebusch, R and Ehteshami, A, (eds.), The Foreign Policies of Middle East States. Lynne Rienner Publishers (USA), pp. 167-192.
Tripp, Charles (2001) 'Iraq and the 1948 War: Mirror of Iraq's Disorder.' In: Rogan, E.L. and Shlaim, A., (eds.), The War for Palestine. Rewriting the History of 1948. Cambridge University Press, pp. 125-150.
Tripp, Charles (2001) 'States, Elites and the 'Management of Change'.' In: Hakimian, H. and Moshaver, Z., (eds.), The State and Global Change. The Political Economy of Transition in the Middle East and North Africa. Richmond: Curzon, pp. 211-231.
Tripp, Charles (1997) 'Iraq.' In: The Cold War and the Middle East. OUP, pp. 186-215.
Tripp, Charles (1997) 'An ''Islamic Economics''? Problems in the imagined reappropriation of economic life.' In: K, ed, (ed.), Politics and the Ends of Identity. Ashgate Publishing (Aldershot), pp. 155-176.
Tripp, Charles (2013) 'Performing the Public: theatres of power in the Middle East.' Constellations, 20 (2). pp. 203-216.
Tripp, Charles (2013) 'Art of the Uprisings in the Middle East.' Brown Journal of World Affairs, 19 (2). pp. 185-199.
Tripp, Charles (2012) 'The Art of Resistance in the Middle East.' Asian Affairs, 43 (3). pp. 393-409.
Tripp, Charles (2009) 'All (Muslim) Politics is Local.' Foreign Affairs, 88 (5). pp. 124-129.
Tripp, Charles (2002) 'After Saddam.' Survival, vol. 4 . pp. 23-38.
Tripp, Charles (2001) 'Syria: the State and its Narratives [Review Article].' Middle Eastern Studies, vol. 3 . pp. 199-206.