Dr Laura Hammond
BA (Sarah Lawrence); MA, PhD (Wisconsin)
Head of Department
Member, Centre for Gender Studies
Member, SOAS Food Studies Centre
Member, Centre for the International Politics of Conflict, Rights and Justice
Research Cluster Member
Research Cluster Member
Research Cluster Convenor
- Dr Laura Hammond
- Email address:
- 020 7898 4654
- SOAS, University of London
Thornhaugh Street, Russell Square, London WC1H 0XG
- Russell Square: College Buildings
- Office No:
- Office Hours:
- Tuesday 10-12pm or by appointment
Laura has degrees in Anthropology from the University Wisconsin-Madison and did her undergraduate degree at Sarah Lawrence College. She has taught at Clark University, the University of Reading, and was a Visiting Fellow at the University of Sussex.
- Development Practice (MSc Research for International Development)
- Development practice
- Famine and Food Security (MSc Research for International Development)
- Famine and food security
- Food Security and Livelihoods
- Issues in development practice
PhD Students supervised
- Ana Oprisan, The Roma in Turkey. From Survival Mechanisms to Development Strategies
- Cathy Huser, The politics of protection at the micro level of armed conflict: Case studies from the Central African Republic & South Sudan
- Marion Péchayre, International non-governmental organisations, “humanitarian triage” and the politics of impartiality in conflict and natural disasters settings - Pakistan 2004-2012
- Miguel Malta,
- Nimo-Ilhan Ahmed Ali, The Political Economy of Higher Education and Graduate Employment: The case of higher education expansion in post-conflict Somaliland
- Oroub El-Abed, Palestinian refugees living in informal areas of the Jordanian capital, Amman: Negotiating economic opportunities
- Rebecca E. Engel, International interventions during transition in Timor-Leste: Implications for stability and the prevention of violent conflict
- Sehin Teferra, Occupational Hazard or Patriarchal Entitlement? : Feminist Analysis of the Dynamics of Violence in Ethiopian Sex Work (working title)
- Siham Rayale, The Politics of Peace: Accounting for Security in Women’s Political Participation In Somaliland (1991-2012)
Laura's research interests include food security, conflict, forced migration and diasporas. She has worked in the Horn of Africa for the past fifteen years, and has done consultancy for a wide range of development and humanitarian organizations, including UNDP, USAID, Oxfam, Medécins Sans Frontières, the International Committee of the Red Cross, and the World Food Programme. She is the author of This Place Will Become Home: Refugee Repatriation to Ethiopia (Cornell University Press: 2004) and several book and journal articles.
For help in contacting SOAS academics and advice on services to business and the community, please contact SOAS Enterprise on +44(0)20 7898 4837 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
For all press and media enquiries please call +44 (0)20 7898 4135 or email email@example.com
Hammond, Laura (2004) This Place Will Become Home. Refugee Repatriation to Ethiopia. Cornell University Press.
Hammond, Laura (2008) 'The Power of Holding Humanitarianism Hostage and the Myth of Protective Principles.' In: Barnett, Michael and Weiss, Thomas G., (eds.), Humanitarianism in question : politics, power, ethics. Ithaca: Cornell University Press, pp. 172-195.
Hammond, Laura (2004) 'The Making of a Good Citizen in an Ethiopian Returnee Settlement.' In: Long, L. D. and Oxfeld, E., (eds.), Coming Home? Refugees, Migrants, and Those Who Stayed Behind. University of Pennsylvania Press, pp. 187-205.
Hammond, Laura (2003) 'How Will the Children Come Home? Emplacement and the Creation of the Social Body in an Ethiopian Returnee Settlement.' In: Olwig, K. F. and Gullov, E., (eds.), Children's Places. Cross-Cultural Perspectives. London: Routledge, pp. 77-94.
Hammond, Laura (2013) 'Somalia rising: things are starting to change for the world's longest failed state.' Journal of Eastern African Studies .
Polzer, Tara and Hammond, Laura (2008) 'Invisible Displacement.' Journal of Refugee Studies, 21 (4). pp. 417-431.
Hammond, Laura (2008) 'Strategies of Invisibilization: How Ethiopia's Resettlement Programme Hides the Poorest of the Poor.' Journal of Refugee Studies, 21 (4). pp. 517-536.
Hammond, Laura (2008) 'Why Upholding Humanitarian Principles Does Not Protect Aid Workers.' Development Viewpoint (7).
Hammond, Laura and Maxwell, D. (2002) 'The Ethiopian Crisis of 1999-2000: Lessons Learned, Questions Unanswered.' Disasters, 26 (3). pp. 262-79.
Hammond, Laura (2013) Safety, Security and Socio-Economic Wellbeing in Somaliland. Nairobi, Geneva, London: SOAS-University of London, DDG, GICHD.
Hammond, Laura and Vaughan-Lee, Hannah (2012) Humanitarian space in Somalia: a scarce commodity. HPG Working Paper.
Hammond, Laura and Awad, Mustafa and Ibrahim Dagane, Ali and Hansen, Peter and Horst, Cindy and Menkhaus, Ken and Obare, Lynette (2011) 'Cash & Compassion: The Somali Diaspora's Role in Relief, Development & Peacebuilding.' United Nations Development Programme - Somalia. (Unpublished)