[skip to content]

International Students

Information for Prospective Students from The USA

USA Flag

Welcome to the country page for the United States, which contains specific information for American students interested in studying at SOAS, University of London. 


Please contact Matt Naylor with any questions you may have about applying to, and studying at SOAS: matt.naylor@soas.ac.uk or +44(0)20 7898 4069.

For information about future SOAS staff visits to the US please go to the following web page: Meet SOAS staff in your Area

Minimum Entry Requirements

The below are guidelines only and do not guarantee entry. Each application will be judged on its own merits.


Applicants with the following qualifications are welcome to apply. These are the minimum entry requirements and for some degrees students will be expected to have higher results. Please contact Undergraduate Admissions (undergradadmissions@soas.ac.uk) for further details.

High School Diploma with GPA of 3.0. +Scores of at least 700 in the 3 SAT Reasoning Tests (or SATI), or 2100 combined or ACT with a minimum 32 out of 36.


  • SAT Subject Tests (or SATII) in three or four subjects at 700 or better
  • Grade 4 or 5 in three Advanced Placement tests
  • A mixture of SATS and AP with scores at these levels is also acceptable
  • BA from US University with GPA of around 3.0

For entry onto a Taught Masters degree, SOAS welcomes applications from students with a Bachelor degree with a cumulative GPA of 3.3 from a university with a selective admissions policy or a cumulative GPA of 3.5 from a university with a non-selective admissions policy.
In addition to the above minimum entrance requirements, applicants should also refer to the individual programme entries in the Graduate Prospectus or postgraduate admissions pages, which may have additional requirements.

Research applicants would normally be expected to have completed a Masters qualification equivalent to a UK Masters degree from a good university.

Semester Abroad

SOAS has a fully integrated ‘Study Abroad’ programme for both undergraduates and postgraduates, where students can study at the School for either the Fall or Spring semester or a full academic year as part of their degree at another university or college. More information and an application form can be found on the Semester Abroad pages or please contact studyabroad@soas.ac.uk.

Financial Aid


Eligible American students can apply for Stafford Federal Loans, Federal Plus and private loans to cover their tuition and maintenance costs. To find out more, please go to the Funding your Studies pages.


American students can also apply for a number of scholarships. SOAS offers a wide-range of scholarships, bursaries and awards to support students undertaking our degree programmes. A number of scholarships are also provided by the University of London, the British government and other organisations, like the British Council. To find out more about these schemes then please visit Scholarships and Bursaries.

The following programmes are specific to American students:

Marshall Scholarships

Marshall Scholarships finance up to forty young Americans of high ability to study for a degree in the United Kingdom every year. You need to be at UK graduate level, but you can apply for any field of study. Each scholarship is held for two years.

Fulbright Scholarships

The Fulbright Program aims to increase mutual understanding between the peoples of the United States and other countries, through the exchange of persons, knowledge, and skills. You can apply for this scholarship if you are a graduating senior, hold a B.S./B.A. degree, are a master's or doctoral degree candidate or are a young professional or artist. Visit the Fulbright Program website for more information. 

The Thouron Award

The Thouron Award is a graduate exchange program between British universities and the University of Pennsylvania. This scholarship programme aims to reinforce the "special relationship" between the U.S. and the U.K. Students receive full support (tuition and generous stipends) to pursue the graduate degrees of their choice.


If you would like to speak to an alum of SOAS who is currently in the U.S.A then there are a number who would be happy to answer your questions. Please visit SOAS Alumni
The alumni in DC also have their own Facebook Group: SOAS DC Alumni

Useful Links

  • The British Council is the British Government's international organisation for educational and cultural relations. Their American website is designed for those seeking information and advice on education and contemporary arts in the UK.
  • Education UK is produced by the British Council to help international students interested in a UK course or qualification.
  • UKCISA - The UK Council for International Students Affairs provides information on many aspects of studying overseas, including visas and working while studying.
  • The UK Border Agency also has up to date information on immigration and visa requirements.
  • UCAS - The Universities and Colleges Admission Service is the body through which all applications for undergraduate study must be made.