MA Islamic Studies
Duration: One calendar year (full-time), or two or three years (part-time, daytime only)
Minimum Entry Requirements: Upper second class honours BA (or equivalent) in Arabic. An upper second class honours BA / BSc degree in any other subject is an acceptable qualification providing it is accompanied by the required level of Arabic language: students should be able to read and understand original Classical Arabic texts, such as Qur'an, Hadith, Tafsir, Sirah, Fiqh.
Start of programme: September intake onlyThe MA offers the students the opportunity to concentrate on the Qur'an, the Hadith and other Islamic texts, and so provides a unique training in the translation of Islamic religious material. The degree is designed to benefit academics, teachers of Islam in other institutions, translators of Islamic material into English in research centres, government departments and da'wa centres. It provides excellent research training and is a useful qualification for those who wish to progress to higher postgraduate degrees.
Students take three taught units (one major, two minor) and write a 10,000 word dissertation.
Two courses, including the major, must be taken from Group A. The third unit can be from Group A or B. Normally no more than two translation items may be taken.
- Early and Medieval Arabic Linguistic Thought: Scholarship and Literature - 15PNMC410 (1 Unit) - Full Year
- Qur'an and Hadith Studies - 15PNMC006 (1 Unit) - Full Year
- The Qur'an:Language,Style and Translation in English - 15PNMC142 (1 Unit) - Full Year - Not Running 2015/2016
- Islamic Legal Texts in Arabic - 15PNMC037 (1 Unit) - Full Year
- IslamicTexts - 15PNMC144 (1 Unit) - Full Year
- Translation of IslamicTexts (a project) - 15PNMC145 (1 Unit) - Full Year
- Sufism - 15PNMC036 (1 Unit) - Full Year - Not Running 2015/2016
- Medieval Arabic Thought: the Philosophical and Theological Traditions - 15PNMC388 (1 Unit) - Full Year
- Modern Trends in Islam - 15PNMC228 (1 Unit) - Full Year - Not Running 2015/2016
- Islamic law (MA/LLM) - 15PLAC121 (1 Unit) - Full Year
- Origins and Development of Islam in the Middle East: Problems and Perspectives - 15PHIC040 (1 Unit) - Full Year
- Islam in South Asia - 15PHIC042 (1 Unit) - Full Year - Not Running 2015/2016
- Art and Architecture of the Fatimids - 15PARH035 (0.5 Unit) - Term 2 - Not Running 2015/2016
- Islam and the West: Artistic and Cultural Contacts - 15PARH034 (0.5 Unit) - Term 1
- Syriac for Beginners - 15PSRC175 (1 Unit) - Full Year
- Music of the Near and Middle East and North Africa - 15PMUC033 (1 Unit) - Full Year - Not Running 2015/2016
Teaching & Learning
As a postgraduate student specialising in Islamic Studies, you will gain competency in language skills and intercultural awareness and understanding. Familiarity with the region will have been developed through a combination of the study of language, literature and culture (which can include literature, film, music, art and religion) of various parts of the Middle East.
Graduates leave SOAS not only with linguistic and cultural expertise, but also with a portfolio of widely transferable skills which employers seek in many professional and management careers in both business and the public sector. These include written and oral communication skills, attention to detail, analytical and problem-solving skills, and the ability to research, amass and order information from a variety of sources.
For more information about Graduate Destinations from this department, please visit the Careers Service website.
How to apply
How to apply
- How to Apply
- Online Application
- Request a prospectus
- Got a question - use our enquiry form (opens a new window)
- Funding options
- English language requirements
- Tuition Fees
- Admissions Contacts
Application Deadline: 2015-03-20 17:00
Application Deadline: 2015-05-01 17:00
A Student's Perspective
Sonja Bartsch, Otto-Friedrich-Universität Bamberg
Here you have the possibility not only to read about other cultures, you can experience them. Besides that, SOAS offers such a wide choice of exciting courses with interesting teachers, you will find nowhere else in the world and all that in the heart of London.