Centre for Global Media and Communications

MA Global Media and Digital Cultures (Online)

Key information

Duration
Two to five years
Start of programme
April and October
Attendance mode
Online learning
Fees

MA/MSc: £12,000
PGDip/PGCert: available as exit awards.

Entry requirements

The MA Global Media and Digital Cultures is designed for recent graduates as well as professionals who are looking to acquire the necessary knowledge and skills for careers in the media sector as well as in PR, communication systems and companies, government, education, NGOs and the UN. Applicants do not need to have an academic degree in media and communication. However, a genuine demonstrated interest in media and its role would be an advantage.

Course overview

The MA Global Media and Digital Cultures (online) is a unique interdisciplinary programme. It offers critical grounded knowledge of global media and digital cultures in Asia, Africa and the Middle East, with a focus on the dynamics between media and politics and diplomacy, media and social/political change, media and development, media and conflict, media and representation and media and identities. The degree prepares students for jobs in the media and communication sectors, government agencies, non-governmental organisations, UN bodies and international organisations.

Taught by leading scholars and drawing on SOAS expertise in the Global South, this MA programme provides students with a non-Eurocentric approach to addressing some of the key debates in contemporary lives – populism, hate speech, fake news, access and representation, inequalities (with a specific focus on gender and minorities) and transnational communities and diasporas. The course will expose students to the main discussions around the role and impact of global media players, including the tech companies on digital economies and futures.

Our research in film and media has been ranked in the top 20 in the UK in the Research Excellence Framework (REF) 2021, with more than a third of our research publications assessed as 4* (world-leading). 

Who should apply

Designed for recent graduates as well as professionals who are looking to acquire the necessary knowledge and skills for careers in the media sector as well as in PR, communication systems and companies, government, education, NGOs and the UN.

How to apply (ODL)

Structure

Mode of delivery

Our modules are centred around learning via the discussion forums. Each week, the Associate Tutor introduces the topic and provides some relevant recordings to help students with the readings. In addition, the module convenor holds monthly meetings with students to discuss the main issues arising.

Important notice

The information on the website reflects the intended programme structure against the given academic session. The modules are indicative options of the content students can expect and are/have been previously taught as part of these programmes. However, this information is published a long time in advance of enrolment and module content and availability is subject to change. 

Dissertation

All students will take a compulsory Dissertation with a value of 60 credits.

Taught component

All students will take two compulsory modules, one core module, and one guided option.

Core module

Compulsory modules

You will select one of the following

Guided option

All students will take one guided option from list A below.

Teaching and learning

This programme is taught 100% online through our Virtual Learning Environment (VLE).

Virtual Learning Environment (VLE)

In the VLE you will have access to learning materials and course resources anytime so you can fit your studies around your existing commitments. For each module, students will be provided with access, through both the SOAS Library and the University of London’s Online Library, to all necessary materials from a range of appropriate sources.

A key component of the student experience will be peer to peer learning, with students engaged in discussion forums with the support of their dedicated Associate Tutor

Study timetable

A Study Timetable is provided for each module and for the overall programme to help you to organise your time.

The programme is broken down into two study sessions per year (starting April and October). Each subject module lasts 16 weeks, followed by a research mini module lasting 8 weeks.

Timeline of Distance Learning MAs: Global Media and Digital Cultures (PDF)

Sample study timetable

Activity Duration
Subject module 16 weeks
Reading weeks 2 weeks
Research mini module 6 weeks
Reading weeks 2 weeks

This 26 week cycle is replicated twice yearly beginning in April and October.

Online and distance learning key dates

Assessment

Each module is assessed by five written online assessments (‘e-tivities’*) comprising of 30% of a module’s assessment, the remaining 70% is a 5,000 word essay as the final e-tivity. The assessments within the e-tivities provide formative and summative feedback to students as a means of monitoring their progress and encouraging areas in which they can improve.

* An 'e-tivity' is a framework for online, active and interactive learning following a format that states clearly to the students its 'Purpose'; the 'Task' at hand; the contribution or 'Response' type; and the 'Outcome' (Salmon, G. (2002) E-tivities: The Key to Active Online Learning, New York and London: Routledge Falmer.)

Research training and dissertation

Research training is a key feature of this programme, the dissertation module is presented in four parts – mini research modules -, which will follow each of your module sessions.

The dissertation, a 60 credit module  is assessed by the submission of a 1,500 word research proposal (dissertation research module part 2) accounting for 15% of the modules mark. The remaining 85% of the module mark will be based on the mark obtained for the submission of a written dissertation of no more than 15,000 words, excluding the bibliography and appendices (dissertation research module part 4).

Engaging in the dissertation research module is a requirement for all students to complete the programme.

Fees and funding

MA/MSc PGDip* PGCert*
£12,000 See below See below

*PGDip and PGCert are available as exit awards. Interested students should get in touch directly with the course team (email: devsonlineprogs@soas.ac.uk).

See online and distance learning fees for further information.

Pay as you learn

Our online programmes can be paid in full at the time of enrolment or on a pay as you learn basis. Pay as you learn means you pay for modules prior to enrolment (£3,000 each).

Postgraduate loans

If you have been a resident in England for three years you may be eligible. For more information, please see postgraduate funding and finance.

Application

To make an application, or to find out more about our admissions procedure, please visit cefims.ac.uk and how to apply (ODL)

Employment

Graduates from the Centre for Global Media and Communications gain expertise in media, communications and film production within a global framework. Graduates develop a portfolio of transferable skills including communication skills, interpersonal skills and team work, which are highly respected by employers.

Recent graduates have been hired by:

  • Africa Mediaworks Ltd.
  • Al Jazeera
  • Associated Press
  • BBC
  • Breakthrough Breast Cancer
  • British Film Institute
  • Channel 5
  • Comic Relief
  • Cordoba African Film Festival
  • Discovery Communications
  • Equality Now
  • Hackney Film Festival
  • International Channel Shanghai
  • Internews Europe
  • Merlin
  • Novus
  • Office for National Statistics
  • Royal College of Art
  • The Institute of Ismaili Studies
  • Unilever
  • United Nations
  • Westminster City Council

Find out about our Careers Service.