Working after your studies
The Graduate visa allows you to remain in the UK to work or look for work in the UK after successfully completing an eligible course. Successful applicants will be granted a 2-year visa if they complete a degree course and doctoral graduates will be granted a 3-year visa. The main eligibility criteria are outlined below but please read our FAQs for detailed guidance.
- You can only apply in the UK
- You must apply before your Tier 4 or Student visa expires
- You must have successfully completed a UK Bachelor's degree or postgraduate degree such as a Master's or doctoral degree
- Your successful programme completion must have been reported to the Home Office by SOAS Student Visa Compliance
- You must have successfully completed the eligible programme during the validity of your current Tier 4 or Student visa
- For programmes that are longer than 12 months, you must have studied on that programme in the UK for at least 12 months. You must also have held valid Student visa during those 12 months.*
*Refer to paragraph 3.27 of the Covid-19 concessions if you have been studying outside the UK via distance learning for part of your programme due to Covid-19.
Reporting programme completion to UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI)
You must wait for a confirmation email from SOAS Student Visa Compliance (SVC) before submitting your Graduate Visa application or your application may be refused.
When the SVC team report your programme completion to UKVI, you'll receive an email from them confirming this. Reports can only be sent to UKVI after the confirmed results are released via Online Student Services following review and ratification by the School Board of Exams and Assessment. For Postgraduate taught students who have completed their programme in September, these reports should normally be made from the beginning of December.
If you do not receive an email from the SVC team in December informing you that your course completion has been reported to UKVI, please contact them as soon as possible and before your Student visa expires.
Help and guidance
The Student Advice Service currently do not offer one to one appointments regarding Graduate Route or other post study visa options as the focus of our advice work is assisting students and applicants with queries relating to their Student visa. We provide the following resources and links to help you understand how to apply for this visa:
- Graduate Route FAQ (PDF)
- UK Government guidance
- UK Council for International Student Affairs
- Recorded presentation from July 2022
We held webinars in October 2021 and February 2022. In person presentations were held in July and August 2022. We will hold further webinars and presentations throughout the academic year which will be advertised in the SOAS Student email bulletin.
Other visa options
UKCISA provides an overview of the visa options that may be available to you once your program is complete such as Skilled Worker.
Help with looking for work
The SOAS Careers Service offers guidance, advice and information resources on careers, employers, vacancies, CV’s and interview skills.