Standard Visitor visa
This visa is generally for those who will be studying in the UK on a programme that's less than 6-months duration.
It is more limited than a Student visa but is less expensive and generally easier to obtain. You can apply for a Standard Visitor visa:
- if your programme is 6-months or less in duration
- if you need to enter the UK to take re-sits, resubmissions or a viva
The Standard Visitor visa has some limitations compared to the Student visa:
- You cannot extend this visa or switch into another visa category in the UK.
- You must leave the UK by the end date on your visa (or within 6 months of the date you entered the UK if traveling through an eGate).
- You are not allowed to work or intern (part-time or full-time).
- You are not covered by the NHS (National Health Service) so will require private medical insurance.
Do I have to apply for this visa before I enter the UK?
Depending on your nationality you may not have to apply for this visa before entering the UK. The UK separates nationals of countries into the following two categories: non-visa nationals and visa nationals.
- Non-visa nationals do not need to apply for this visa before entering the UK. You need to ask for a Standard visitor visa stamp from a Border Force Officer when entering the UK or enter via an eGate if your nationality is listed. It is advisable to have all the necessary documents required in case you need to show them upon arrival
- If you are a visa national, you must apply for this visa before entering the UK.
You can check whether you need to apply for a visa in advance or not using the UKVI visa check website.
How to apply for a Standard Visitor visa
Please see our guidance document: Applying for a Standard Visitor visa for study (PDF).
Contact the Student Advice Service if you need help to apply for this visa.