Information for prospective students from Vietnam

Students from Vietnam

We have gathered specific information for Vietnamese students interested in studying at SOAS.

Contact us

Phone: +44 (0)20 7898 4700

If you would like to contact Charlotte Greenwood, our International Recruitment Manager for South-East Asia, please email her directly at

SOAS staff regularly travel overseas to meet with students who are interetsed in studying at SOAS. For more information, please visit events in your country.

Minimum entry requirements

These are guidelines only and do not guarantee entry. Each application will be judged on its own merits.

Undergraduate study

The Upper Secondary School Graduation Certificate (Tot Nghiep Pho Thong Trung Hoc) is not acceptable as an entry qualification for SOAS. Applicants from Vietnam would be expected to offer, either instead or in addition, one of the following:

  • A foundation course. The International Foundation Courses and English Language Studies Centre (IFCELS) at SOAS offers a preparatory year for international students seeking entry to undergraduate degrees at British universities.
  • 3 A-levels
  • The International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma
  • At least 5 'Group A' Advanced Placement subjects (see the College Board and UCAS websites)
  • A University of London External Programme qualification
  • A year of university study from another institution

Please see the individual undergraduate degree programme descriptions for specific course requirements. You can also find Information on our site about how to apply (undergraduate) as well as on the Universities and Colleges Admissions Service (UCAS) website.

Postgraduate study

To be considered for admissions to SOAS Masters programmes, we require a Master's Degree/Thac si with a grade of 7.0 (Good). We may also consider a four year bachelor degree/Bang tot ngheip dai hoc with excellent grades (8.0) on a case by case basis. For further information please contact Masters Admissions (
In addition to the above minimum entrance requirements, you should also refer to the individual programme entries in the postgraduate prospectus or on our postgraduate entry requirements.
Research applicants would normally be expected to have completed a Masters qualification equivalent to a UK Masters degree from a good university.

English language proficiency

Applicants whose first language is not English must demonstrate they meet SOAS’ English language entry requirements.

For students who do not meet the exact entry requirement SOAS offers excellent Pre-Sessional and Summer English language courses which can help to achieve the required language proficiency.

Foundation courses

Those applicants who do not meet the above entry requirements or would like to improve their English language before studying for a degree, could consider applying for one of the foundation programmes offered at the SOAS IFCELS centre. Students can improve their English while studying academic courses in an area of their choice, including Development Studies, International Business, Media and Communication and International Politics.

In-country representatives

SOAS works with the following representatives in Vietnam. Please contact our representatives directly for further information and assistance about studying at SOAS and making an application. 


SOAS offers a number of scholarships and bursaries and there are other external scholarships funded by the University of London, the UK Government and other organisations.

Employment opportunities

If you apply for a visa before you arrive in the UK then you should be eligible to work part-time or volunteer during your programme of study. This visa will allow you to work part-time during the term (up to 20 hours a week) and any number of hours during the vacations.

SOAS Careers Service

The SOAS Careers Service can help you to find volunteering opportunities and can provide information and advice on finding paid employment during your studies and after graduation.
There will be a number of jobs (both voluntary and paid) within SOAS itself (for example, in the Students’ Union or cafe) and you can look out for these opportunities through the Careers Service or via the Students’ Union.


If you have any questions for an alum of SOAS currently living in Vietnam then you can contact Adam McCarty (SOAS Lecturer 1996-8),

Useful links