Accessible accommodation

Accessible accommodation

Accessibility and accommodation

Please contact the Accommodation Office to discuss your particular accessibility and accommodation requirements prior to application at

Accommodation for SOAS students

There are a number of different accommodation options for SOAS undergraduates and postgraduates. All new students from outside London are advised to apply for a place in a student residence, and if we are unable to offer you campus housing we will provide the help and advice you need to find accommodation elsewhere.

Study Abroad, JYA, Erasmus and IFCELS students

Information for Study Abroad, JYA, Erasmus and IFCELS students can be found by contacting

All accommodation can be viewed on our accommodation.pages.

How to apply

When you have decided which accommodation you wish to request, and have discussed your options with our Disability & Neurodiversity Team, please email with the following:

Your request will then be passed onto our Accommodation Manager who will email you to assist with viewing and booking the accommodation of your choice.

The deadline for applications is usually 30th June for the University of London Halls, however there is no official deadline for SOAS halls and applications can made as late as the end of August.  Allocation rounds take place over the summer, the sooner you apply, the more chance you have of being allocated a place.

Clearing students and late applicants should apply as soon as possible and can register on the waiting list, usually from the end of September, if places are not available immediately.

Continuing students (those currently enrolled and continuing on the same programme) usually need to apply before 31st March.

Returning students (those currently or previously enrolled, and starting a different study programme) usually need to apply by the end of June.

Adapted accommodation facilities quick guide

Adapted accommodation facilities quick guide (PDF, 109kb) - this guide is currently being updated for 2023/24.

University Halls of Residence

Disabled students will be given priority for a space in the University Halls and should contact the Accommodation Office as early as possible via email to discuss their requirements in confidence and make accommodation requests.

Most of our halls of residence are wheelchair accessible and have specially adapted rooms. For more details on the types of adapted facilities, please see Adapted Halls Information 2019 (pdf; 137kb)

SOAS Hall of Residence - Dinwiddy House

SOAS students (mainly undergraduates) have exclusive access to Dinwiddy House, located on Pentonville Road, a 20-minute walk or 1 mile from Russell Square campus. For the latest prices and information. 

  • Mixed residence, self-catering 510 single en-suite rooms (cluster flats of 5-7 people) with telephone and Internet points
  • Shared kitchen/dining areas, TV/DVD room, pool table, vending machines, laundry, secure bike shed
  • Bed linen not provided but available for purchase
  • Wheelchair access and rooms specially equipped for students with disabilities
  • Contracts are for 38 weeks (includes Christmas and Easter vacation) and are extendable

SOAS Hall of Residence – Paul Robeson House

SOAS postgraduate students have exclusive access to Paul Robeson House, located on Penton Rise, a 20-minute walk or 1.4 miles from Russell Square campus. For the latest prices and information.

  • Mixed residence, self-catering
  • 252 single and 7 double en-suite rooms (cluster flats of 5-7 people) with telephone and internet points. 
  • Shared kitchen/dining areas, TV/DVD room, vending machines, laundry, secure bike shed
  • Bed linen not provided but available for purchase
  • Wheelchair access and rooms specially equipped for students with disabilities
  • Contracts for 38 weeks (includes Christmas and Easter vacation) and extendable.

Intercollegiate Student Residences – University of London

SOAS students are also entitled to apply for a place in one of the seven intercollegiate residences owned and maintained by the University of London. This offers a valuable opportunity to mix with students from other colleges of the University. These halls provide catering, offering breakfast and evening meal on Monday to Friday and Brunch and evening meal at the weekends.  They also have self catered adapted options.

The Intercollegiate halls have a mix of both newly built modern accommodation and older, but modernised accommodation. They do not all have updated conveniences such as en-suite facilities, however many rooms do now include these, as well as personal telephones and data points for internet connection.

The costs vary but are inclusive of the vacation periods. Most of the halls are in closer proximity to the SOAS Russell Square campus. The intercollegiate halls vary considerably in style of accommodation. Students with special needs are advised to discuss them with the SOAS Disability Advisors prior to making application choices.

  • College Hall is located 0.3 miles from SOAS. It has 15 en-suite rooms designed for students with particular access requirements.
  • Connaught Hall is located 0.3 miles from SOAS. There is no wheelchair access, however they have facilities available for the hearing impaired.
  • Garden Halls is located 0.6 miles from SOAS. This newly constructed hall has wheelchair accessible and adapted rooms.
  • International Hall is located 0.3 miles from SOAS. It has six adapted rooms.

Accommodation Partners – The Stay Club and Urbanest

Both our accommodation partners have adapted accommodation available. Contact for further information 

Private Accommodation – University of London Housing Services

If you prefer to live in the private sector, The University of London Housing Service offers guidance and can advise about the accessibility of houses and flats in their database. ULHS publishes the London Student Housing Guide and maintains a database of private sector and University-owned accommodation.

For more information visit their website University of London Housing Services or contact them at University of London Housing Services, University of London Union, Malet Street, London WC1E 7HY, tel: +44 (0)20 7862 8880, email: The office is open to personal callers, preferably by appointment, Mon, Wed, Thurs, Frid 10.00am–5.00pm, Tues 11.00am-5.00pm and on Saturdays in September from 9.30am–2pm.

Private landlords are prohibited from giving unjustified less favourable treatment to disabled tenants, eg. landlords must not charge someone with a disability a higher rent than other tenants. They are also subject to a duty to make reasonable adjustment to premises to cater for the needs of disabled persons. If you feel that you have been treated less favourably as a result of your disability, contact the University of London Housing Service for legal advice.

Habinteg are an organisation that provide accessible and supported accommodation across London and nationally. Most properties have a waiting list.

SOAS Students Union also offers help and advice on finding accommodation. Contact them at or drop in to their office just off the JCR at the Russell Square Campus. Visit the Students' Union website for information including Student Union Housing Top Tips and useful links, for example, facebook groups for students who do not have a place in a hall of residence and who are seeking potential housemates.

Independent Halls – Private Halls

London also has a range of independent halls, many of which are close to SOAS, for example. For a complete up to date list please go to the University of London Housing Services website. 

New private halls are required to ensure that 5% of their rooms are wheelchair accessible. These are usually more expensive than University of London Halls but are built to a high standard and may offer a higher level of comfort. You will need to contact the halls provider directly to check that they can accommodate your needs.

This list of private halls provides information of private providers in central London. You can also use our interactive student halls map to compare providers and prices. You will need to be signed in to a Google account to access the map.

More information

For more information about alternative housing options please see the SOAS Accommodation page.