English language requirements
All international applicants must be able to show that their English is of a high enough standard to successfully engage with and complete their course at SOAS. If you have not yet taken an English language test, you can still apply for your degree, but we will include evidence of language requirements as part of your offer conditions. You can demonstrate English language ability in several ways.
You do not need to provide evidence of your English language ability if any of the following apply:
- Nationals from a government recognised majority English speaking country who have successfully completed high school or a degree in the respective country.
- You’ve completed a degree in the UK or in any Majority English Speaking Country (UKVI defined) within the last 5 years.
- You’ve completed a degree which was taught in English from Canada, Ghana, Kenya, Nigeria, or South Africa (or from certain recognised English-medium universities) if graduation is within 5 years of entering SOAS.
- You’ve completed a SOAS Pre-Masters or International Foundation (60% in Academic English) or ELAS programme (70% in Academic English) within 2 years of entry.
- You’ve passed a Pre-sessional English course at a UK university (2-year validity).
Undergraduate and postgraduate test scores
Details of many of the English language qualifications that we accept with minimum scores for Undergraduate and Postgraduate applicants are provided below. We consider these qualifications alongside other evidence of English language ability, such as your references, curriculum vitae or personal statement.
Applicants for the International Foundation (ICC) should check the entry requirements on the ICC programme pages.
**Covid-19 update for 2022 intake**
We realise many English test centres are closed and exams have been cancelled as a result of the Covid-19 pandemic. We therefore will accept the following online English language tests for September 2022 entry only (2-year validity from 1st September 2020):
Please note we do not accept Duolingo or TOEFL Essentials tests.
|IELTS Academic/for UKVI/ Indicator||6.5||6.5 in all subscores|
|PTE Academic||65||65 in all subscores|
|TOEFL iBT ('My Best Scores' not accepted)||100||23 in all subscores|
35 in all subscores
With In-sessional English
|IELTS Academic/for UKVI/ Indicator||6.5||6.0 in all subscores (6.5 in Writing)|
|PTE Academic||65||60 in all subscores (65 in Writing)|
|TOEFL iBT ('My Best Scores' are not accepted)||100||21 in all subscores (23 in Writing)|
30 in all subscores (35 in Writing)
With 4-week pre-sessional English
|IELTS Academic/for UKVI/ Indicator||6.5||5.5 in all subscores (6.0 in writing)|
|PTE Academic||65||55 in all subscores (60 in writing)|
|TOEFL iBT ('My Best Scores' are not accepted)||95||20 in writing and speaking, 18 in listening and reading|
|IELCA Academic||35||25 in all subscores (30 in writing)|
With 8-week pre-sessional English
|IELTS Academic/for UKVI/ Indicator||6.0||5.5 in all subscores|
|PTE Academic||60||55 in all subscores|
|TOEFL iBT ('My Best Scores' are not accepted)||90||20 in speaking and 18 in other subscores|
|IELCA Academic||30||25 in all subscores|
In addition to the tests listed above, we also accept a range of alternative qualifications to demonstrate evidence of English Language proficiency. Generally, these have 5-year validity, but some may have a two-year validity.
If you do not meet the English Language Requirements for your course in full, you may be offered an In-sessional English course (with is free and taught during the term) or a four-week or eight-week Pre-sessional English course (which happens in the summer before the academic year).
In-sessional and Pre-sessional English courses are not available for Distance Learning applicants.
Visa requirements and SELT
Applicants who require a Student Visa must prove their knowledge of the English language when applying. As a higher education provider, SOAS can assess your level of English using a variety of tests and qualifications. However, you may be asked to provide evidence of a secure English language test (SELT) as part of your Student Visa application.
For this reason, we recommend all applicants who plan to apply for a Student Visa where possible choose one of the following approved SELTs:
As indicated, as an approved institution we are also able to accept tests and qualifications for exemption from the need to take UKVI SELTS, including for example, IELTS Academic, TOEFL At Home or IELTS Indicator.
- In-sessional English courses are free and available to all International applicants whose first language is not English, however, priority will go to applicants with an In-sessional recommendation or requirement
- Degrees from majority English speaking countries or English-medium universities are valid for a period of 5 years before start date of SOAS degree programme
- Where applicants have submitted more than one piece of evidence of English (e.g. an IELTS test and a degree from a majority English speaking country) we are only able to accept the results of the most recent
- Please visit the IFCELS web pages for details of English language teaching and resources at SOAS, such as In-sessional, Pre-sessional, ELAS (English Language and Academic Studies) or Foundation courses (pre-undergraduate and pre-masters).
- If your qualification is not included on this page or the alternative qualifications page, please contact English Language Admissions at Englishassess@soas.ac.uk
- The information provided on this page is a basic guide to our English admissions and SOAS reserves the right to apply the criteria at its own discretion in all cases.