Who is this programme for?:
To apply, please print and complete the ICC 2017 Application Form. Then e-mail it as an attachment to us at firstname.lastname@example.org OR post it, together with the required supporting documents, to:
Head of Department
International Foundation Courses & English Language Studies (IFCELS)
SOAS (University of London)
23/24 Russell Square
London WC1H 0XG UK
The ICC Foundation programme is designed for international students who want to study for an undergraduate degree at a British university.
You may need to complete a foundation programme if either of the two conditions below apply to you:
- You have finished school in your own country, but your school-leaving certificate does not qualify you for direct entry to a UK university.
- You have been partly-educated in an English-medium school in Britain or elsewhere, but have not achieved the A-level, IB or AP grades needed for university entrance because of language difficulties.
Winner of ICC Progress Prize 2014-5
Studying BSc Business Studies at City University
“What I appreciate most from ICC foundation programme at SOAS is the academic support that I received. It helped me enhance a number of study areas such as analytical and critical thinking, as well as my research skills, which enabled me to make great progress and achieve a high level of academic performance in a different education system. It was also a wonderful experience to meet the world in SOAS.”
Winner of ICC Achievement Prize 2014-15 Studying BSc Mathematics at Durham
“Joining ICC was one of the best choices I have ever made. It gave me an invaluable opportunity to be accepted into my dream university and an insight into real university life. The knowledge and academic skills it provided have equipped me for my undergraduate studies, and I benefitted from constant assistance offered by my lecturers and tutors. Moreover, it enabled me to get involved in the SOAS Students’ Union which gave me a sense of community, not to mention the wonderful friendships that were formed there. Overall, it was a constructive and enjoyable experience!”
Distinguishing features of the programme include:
- a wide range of academic modules available to student – find out more by clicking the ‘Structure’ tab.
- a unique integrated approach to English development, where the language teaching and learning are directly linked to the material covered in the academic modules.
- the experience and expertise of our teaching and lecturing staff
- extensive individual support provided to our students through regular one-to-one meetings with lecturers, teachers, personal tutors, and academic advisors.
- the central London location - all teaching is done by SOAS staff on the Central London (Russell Square) campus, within walking distance of the SOAS Hall of Residence and the West End of London.
- the UK campus experience that our students receive – all our students have full SOAS status and have access to all SOAS facilities including library, student support services and students’ union clubs and societies.
Progressing to Undergraduate Study
Students who achieve a minimum level of academic and English language performance on the ICC Foundation programme are guaranteed progression to SOAS for undergraduate study (subject to satisfying eligibility requirements), and will receive a 5% discount in all 3 years of undergraduate study. However the ICC Certificate award from the University of London is recognised by UK universities as an entrance qualification for undergraduate degree programmes and our Academic Advice Team provides one-to-one support with every stage of the undergraduate application procedure.
See the ICC Brochure for more information
Undergraduate Foundation Course ICC Brochure (pdf; 1732kb)
The Intermediate Certificate Course (ICC) Foundation programme is a 10-month course providing academic and English language preparation for international students who want to enter undergraduate degrees in Social Sciences, Finance and Management-related studies, and Arts and Humanities at UK universities,
Since the ICC Foundation programme was started in 1985 over 2000 of our students have progressed to undergraduate study at institutions in the University of London, and over the UK.
High-ranking British universities recognise the ICC Foundation as a value-adding academic and English-language programme for international students. Our destinations list here shows the universities and programmes that our students joined last year.