Who is this programme for?:
The ICC International Foundation programme is designed for international students for whom English is not a first language and who want to study for an undergraduate degree at a British university.
You may need to complete a foundation programme if either of the two conditions below apply to you:
- You have finished school in your own country, but your school-leaving certificate does not qualify you for direct entry to a UK university.
- You have been wholly or partly educated in an English-medium school but have not achieved the A-level, IB or AP grades needed for university entrance because of language difficulties.
Congratulations to ICC 2016-7 Prizewinners Idriss Irakoze (Progress Prize) and Zhuoran WANG (Achievement Prize) seen here at the IFCELS Welcome Reception in October.
Idriss writes that ICC: “… equipped me with a full picture of the world, and abilities to critically analyse current issues. … I met open-minded teachers who were determined to enhance our critical thinking. … it was a unique opportunity to expand my horizons thanks to its cultural diversity and through other extracurricular activities.”
Special features of the programme include:
- a wide range of academic subjects and a flexible structure which allows students to create their own 'pathway'
- a unique integrated approach to English development, where the language teaching and learning are directly linked to the material covered in the academic modules.
- the experience and expertise of our teaching and lecturing staff in a department with over 30 years experience of running International Foundation programmes
- extensive individual support provided to our students through regular one-to-one meetings with lecturers, teachers, personal tutors, and academic advisors.
- the central London location - all teaching is done by SOAS staff on the Central London (Russell Square) campus, within walking distance of the SOAS Hall of Residence and the West End of London
- the UK campus experience that our students receive – all our students have full SOAS status and have access to all SOAS facilities including library, student support services and students’ union clubs and societies
- guaranteed offers for all SOAS undergraduate degrees
Progressing to Undergraduate Study
Students who achieve a minimum level of academic and English language performance on the ICC Foundation programme are guaranteed progression to SOAS for undergraduate study (subject to satisfying eligibility requirements), and will receive a 5% discount in all 3 years of undergraduate study. However the ICC Certificate award from the University of London is recognised by UK universities as an entrance qualification for undergraduate degree programmes and our Academic Advice Team provides one-to-one support with every stage of the undergraduate application procedure.
See the ICC Brochure for more information
Undergraduate Foundation Course ICC Brochure (pdf; 1732kb)
The Intermediate Certificate Course (ICC) International Foundation programme is a 10-month programme providing academic and English language preparation for international students who want to enter undergraduate degrees in Social Sciences, Finance and Management-related studies, and Arts and Humanities at UK universities,
Since the ICC International Foundation programme was started in 1985 over 2000 of our students have progressed to undergraduate study at institutions in the University of London, and over the UK.
High-ranking British universities recognise the ICC International Foundation as a value-adding academic and English-language programme for international students. Our destinations list here shows the universities and programmes that our students joined last year.