School of Finance and Management
The School of Finance and Management (SFM) is a leading centre for research in finance and management in a global context as well as specialist knowledge on Africa, Asia and the Middle East. We aim to develop policy makers who shape new developments as well as business leaders who create value for their companies and organizations. Our department is a source of game-changing ideas and opportunities for networking.
Our Undergraduate and Postgraduate programmes are research-led and challenge-driven and they deliver teaching of the highest quality. They adopt a global perspective and enable participants to develop and enhance sound analytical thinking, personal drive and initiative, and effective communication. Master’s degree programmes are also offered through the distance learning Centre for Financial and Management Studies (CeFiMS).
Our Research programmes provide opportunities for advanced students to work towards MPhil and PhD degrees. Part of our research is carried out within the Centre for Global Finance and the Centre for Trust Research. Policy makers and practitioners from the private sector, international organisations and national governments also join SFM for their continuous professional development (CPD) programmes.
Facts and figures
5th in UK
Guardian League Tables 2021 for graduate employability
Members of the School of Finance and Management have a strong commitment to academic research and publication across a wide range of areas.
Our current, active research interests lie within:
- Finance and economic growth
- Financial regulation, central banking and bank supervision
- Corporate finance: risk management and determinants of firms' capital structure
- Corporate governance: finance, law, and regulation (in developed and developing countries)
- Management in China; Management in Japan; and Management in the Middle East and North Africa
- Forensic accounting and financial crime
- Public management, public policy and regulation
Research is also carried out within the following centres attached to the department: