Information for prospective students from Japan

Students from Japan

We have gathered specific information for Japanese students interested in studying at SOAS.

Contact us

Phone: +44 (0)20 7898 4700

If you have any questions about our programmes, entry requirements or the application process, please get in touch with Alberto Demo, our International Recruitment Manager for Japan, you can email him directly ( or through the following apps:

  • WhatsApp: +447711 317103
  • LINE: Alberto_SOAS

SOAS visits Japan at least twice a year to attend education fairs, visit schools and universities and to meet with students interested in studying at SOAS.

Further information on upcoming visits can be found in our listings for events in your country

Minimum entry requirements

These are guidelines only and do not guarantee entry. Each application will be judged on its own merits.

Undergraduate study

The Japanese High School leaving certificate is not sufficient for entry to a SOAS undergraduate degree. Applicants from Japan would be expected to offer, either instead or in addition, one of the following:

  • A foundation course. The International Foundation Courses and English Language Studies Centre (IFCELS) at SOAS offers a preparatory year for international students seeking entry to undergraduate degrees at British universities.
  • 3 A-levels
  • The International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma
  • At least 3 'Group A' Advanced Placement subjects (see the College Board and UCAS websites for further details)
  • A University of London External Programme qualification
  • A year of university study from another institution

Please see the individual undergraduate degree programme descriptions for specific course requirements. Information about how to apply can be found on our How to Apply (UG) page and on the Universities and Colleges Admissions Service (UCAS) website.

Postgraduate study

To be considered for a place on a Taught Masters programme SOAS requires a bachelor's degree (Gakushi, 4-6 years) from a recognised university with a classification equivalent to a UK Lower Division Second Class. For more details, please visit our postgraduate entry requirements section. The masters degree (shushi 修士) is acceptable for entry to a research degree.
In addition to the above minimum entry requirements, you should also refer to any additional criteria your chosen programme may have. This will be highlighted on the individual programme web pages.

English language proficiency

Applicants whose first language is not English must also show their level of English. For more information please read our English entry requirements. SOAS does offer English summer courses (‘pre-sessionals’) for those who do not meet the exact entry requirements so that students have the opportunity to improve their language skills before beginning academic study.

Foundation courses

Those applicants who do not meet the above entry requirements or would like to improve their English language before studying for a degree could consider applying for one of the foundation degrees offered at the SOAS IFCELS centre. Students can improve their English while studying academic courses in an area of their choice, including Development Studies, International Business, Media and Communication and International Politics.

Student exchange

SOAS has exchange agreements with a number of universities in Japan through which undergraduate students can study for one year at SOAS as part of their degree. In the first instance, students should speak to the exchanges or international office in their university for application details. If your university does not have an exchange agreement with SOAS then you can still apply to spend one semester or one year at SOAS as part of your undergraduate degree on the 'Study Abroad' programme. Further information and an application form can be found in our Study Abroad section or please contact

In-country representatives

SOAS works with SI-UK Education Council & beo in Japan and you can contact them directly to ask any questions about applying to and studying at SOAS.


SOAS offers a wide range of scholarships, bursaries and awards to support students, including the International Postgraduate Scholarship.
A number of scholarships are also provided by the University of London, the British Government and other external organisations, for a list please visit Scholarships and Bursaries.

Employment opportunities

If you apply for a visa before you arrive in the UK then you should be eligible to work part-time or volunteer during your programme of study. This visa will allow you to work part-time during the term (up to 20 hours a week) and any number of hours during the vacations. However, you should check before you apply for a job that your visa will allow you to do this particular kind of work.
Please be aware that to meet immigration rules for students, you have to show that you have enough money to support yourself during your studies without needing to work. For comprehensive advice on working in the UK, please visit the UKCISA website.

SOAS Careers Service

The SOAS Careers Service can help you find volunteering opportunities and can provide information and advice on finding paid employment during your studies and after graduation.
There will be a number of jobs (both voluntary and paid) within SOAS itself (for example, in the Students’ Union or cafe) and you can look out for these opportunities through the Careers Service or via the Students’ Union.


If you have any questions for an alum of SOAS currently living in Japan then you are welcome to contact the SOAS Alumni Association in Japan (SAIJ).

Useful links

  • The British Council is the British Government's international organisation for educational and cultural relations. Their Japan website is designed for those seeking information and advice on education and contemporary arts in the UK.
  • Education UK is produced by the British Council to help international students interested in a UK course or qualification.
  • UK Now is the official website of British Government organisations in Japan.
  • UKCISA - The UK Council for International Students Affairs provides information on many aspects of studying overseas, including visas and working while studying.
  • The UK Border Agency also has up-to-date information on immigration and visa requirements.
  • UCAS - The Universities and Colleges Admission Service is the body through which all applications for undergraduate study must be made.
  • College Board is an organisation aimed at helping international students find courses and universities in the UK.