Information for prospective students from Canada

Students from Canada

We have gathered specific information for students from Canada.

Contact us

Phone: +44 (0)20 7898 4700

If you would like to contact Alberto Demo, our International Recruitment Manager for North America, please email him directly at

For further information on upcoming visits, please see events in your country.

Minimum entry requirements

These are guidelines only and do not guarantee entry. Each application will be judged on its own merits.

Undergraduate study

For information on undergraduate entry requirements please refer to our undergraduate criteria. 

If your Province does not appear in our entry requirements please contact

For guidance on how to make an application, you can visit how to apply (UG)

Postgraduate study

SOAS will consider all applicants holding the equivalent of a UK Lower Second-Class Honours undergraduate degree. For more information, please view our postgraduate entry requirements.

In addition, you should check the individual programme of study for any specific academic requirements.

Research applicants would normally be expected to have completed a Master's qualification from a good university.

Semester abroad

SOAS has a fully integrated ‘Study Abroad’ programme for both undergraduates and postgraduates, where students can study at the School for either the Fall or Spring semester or a full academic year as part of their degree at another institution.

More information and an application form can be found in our Study Abroad section or by contacting


SOAS offers a range of scholarships, bursaries and awards to support students. There are other scholarships provided by the University of London, the British Government and other external organisations. For further information please see Scholarships.

For other scholarship opportunities please visit the Government of Canada International Scholarships website.

Employment opportunities

If you apply for a visa before you arrive in the UK then you should be eligible to work part-time or volunteer during your programme of study. This visa will allow you to work part-time during the term (up to 20 hours a week) and any number of hours during the vacations. However, you should check before you apply for a job that your visa will allow you to do this particular kind of work.

Please be aware that to meet immigration rules for students, you have to show that you have enough money to support yourself during your studies without needing to work. For comprehensive advice on working in the UK, please visit the UKCISA website:

SOAS Careers Service

The SOAS Careers Service can help you find volunteering opportunities and can provide information and advice on finding paid employment during your studies and after graduation.

There will be a number of jobs (both voluntary and paid) within SOAS itself (for example, in the Students’ Union or cafe) and you can look out for these opportunities through the Careers Service or via the Students’ Union.


SOAS has alumni all over the world, if you would like to contact an alum to ask any questions, please see SOAS alumni.

In-country representatives

SOAS works with SI-UK Education Council in Canada and you can contact them directly to ask any questions about applying to and studying at SOAS.

Study in UK (SI-UK) North America - Toronto
Suite 300, 150 King Street West
Toronto M5H 1J9
Ontario, Canada
Phone: +1 416 998 8532

Study in UK (SI-UK) North America - Vancouver
1055 W Georgia St
Vancouver, BC V6E 3N9
Phone: +1 778 955 2545


Useful links

  • The British Council is the UK's international organisation for educational opportunities and cultural relations. Their Canadian website is a useful resource for education in the UK and other cultural information.
  • British High Commission in Canada where you can find information about all aspects of the UK, as well as practical information about VISAS
  • UCAS - the Universities and Colleges Admission Service is the central organisation through which undergraduate applications are processed for entry to Higher Education.
  • UKCISA - the Council for International Student Affairs provides information on many aspects of studying in the UK, including visa advice.