The titles of Research Associate, Post-Doctoral Research Associate or Professorial Research Associate are granted by the School to individuals who wish to work with, or affiliate their work with, a SOAS Department or Centre/Institute which they are known to.
Research Associates may or may not be physically present at the School for the duration of their appointment, but they are expected to contribute to the School’s research.
This status is granted by the School on the recommendation of a Head of Department or Centre/Institute.
Types of Research Associate
- Conferral of the title of Research Associate will normally be for up to two years with provision for extension if requested and there is evidence of productive collaboration with the School.
- Post-Doctoral Research Associates should be recently-graduated PhD students of the School who wish to continue their affiliation to the School in order to publish the results of their doctoral research and/or develop new projects. The title of Post-Doctoral Research Associate is for two years, and is non-renewable.
- Professorial Research Associates should be distinguished scholars with professorial status accorded by a reputable higher education. Conferral of the title of Professorial Research Associate will normally be for up to two years with provision for extension if requested and there is evidence of productive collaboration with the School.
The benefits of a Research Associate include:
- Reference-only SOAS Library membership, including walk-in access to some electronic resources
- Use of the Staff Common Room and Library working space (we are unable to provide you with an office)
- SOAS login, email account and staff web page
- Use of the School’s affiliation in giving public lectures or submitting material for publication
- Attendance at lectures and seminars
Post-Doctoral Research Associates can also access the SOAS Doctoral School.
While the role of a Research Associate does not constitute a paid employment position, we encourage all our Research Associates to play a full and active part in the intellectual life of the School. Research Associates are not permitted to teach whilst at SOAS, however pro-bono contributions to teaching and research are encouraged where appropriate.
Process of appointment
To apply, please complete and email the application form to the department, centre or institute you wish to be based in.
You can find the relevant department's contact details on its web page. See the lists of departments, institutes and regional centres, and research centres.
For your application to be successful, it must have the approval of the relevant head of department, centre or institute.
During your appointment, you will have on-site access to our library collections (including our special collections and archives). Photocopying facilities are available in the Library at additional cost. It is recommended that you bring a memory stick if you wish to save electronic information such as journal articles. Due to licensing restrictions, remote access to electronic resources is not included in Library membership.
Individuals can apply for Borrowing Membership at the SOAS Library at a cost of £200 per annum or £100 for 6 month. You can apply immediately on arrival at the Library.
If scholars subscribe to reciprocal access schemes (e.g., SCONUL or UoL) or are a retired member of SOAS staff, they can use the Library without charge on presentation of credentials from their home institution.
Research Associates should ensure that they make appropriate visa arrangements if necessary. Please see the government website on UK visas.
Please note that SOAS does not have any residential accommodation of its own, and we ask you to make your own arrangements. You may find the University of London Accommodation Office helpful.