Centre of Jaina Studies
The aim of the Centre of Jaina Studies (COJS) is to promote the study of Jaina religion and culture by providing an interdisciplinary platform for academic research, teaching and publication in the field of Jaina Studies.
The Centre promotes a number of activities, including:
- Research projects in Jaina Studies.
- Dissemination of new research through the Centre's publications and website.
- Academic conferences, workshops, seminars, symposia and exhibitions.
- Public lectures in Jaina Studies by leading scholars.
- Academic exchange programmes.
- Courses on Jainism, and postgraduate research in Jaina Studies at SOAS.
- Expanding the resources relating to Jaina Studies in the SOAS Library.
- Establishing links with individuals and institutions with an academic interest in Jaina Studies.
Give to the centre
Key digital databases
Jaina Digital Archive
The Jaina Digital Archive is part of the SOAS Digital Collections and contains a large amount of Jaina-related materials, including imagery and scans manuscripts.
Jaina Prosopography Database
The Jaina Prosopography Database contains historical information on Jaina mendicants and householders.
Funded research projects
Studying Jainism at SOAS
BA or MA modules
- Introduction to Prakrit (no previous knowledge required)
- Readings in Prakrit (some knowledge of Prakrit or Sanskrit needed)
The Aniconic Jaina Traditions: History, Doctrine, Practice
Consolidating the source base on the Sthānakavāsī traditions in Gujarat and North India.
Jaina-Prosopography: Monastic Lineages, Networks and Patronage
Exploring the relationships between Jaina mendicant lineages and their supporters.
Literary Heritage of the Aniconic Jaina Tradition
Collect, transliterate and publishing important manuscripts pertaining to the history, doctrine and religious culture of the Lonkagaccha Jaina traditions in India.
Exploratory Survey of the Jaina Heritage in Pakistan
Enhancing understanding of the Jain heritage in Pakistan.
Johannes Klatt’s Jaina-Onomasticon
Producing a print edition of a recognised classic in the fields of Indology and the History of Religion
Jaina Rituals of Death
Towards a comprehensive monograph on new and yet unpublished findings on Jaina stūpas and practices of relic worship in contemporary Jaina culture.
Kanji Swami: History, Teachings, Community
Bringing to light the nature and scope of Kānjī Svāmī’s philosophy and his legacy, in both philosophical and practical terms.