SOAS Students' Union
We are SOAS Students' Union
The Students' Union is here to support you to make your time at SOAS the best it can be - as part of a welcoming, inclusive and active student community.
When you start at SOAS, you automatically become a member of the Students' Union (SU), and it’s completely free. The SU is an independently run charity that is here to help in a range of ways. We represent the student voice within the University and beyond, give guidance on anything that may impact your studies, and help to make campus life exciting with a diverse range of events and societies.
We have a range of dedicated community spaces for SOAS students to meet and unwind on campus, including our Junior Common Room (JCR), a vibrant and welcoming area for all students to enjoy society meet-ups, study breaks, lively discussion, sports screenings, music and more.
Explore the Students' Union
Discover all the societies, events and opportunities available at the SU and find out how to get involved.
"You might be here to get a degree, but one of the biggest parts of any university experience is the Students’ Union.
We are that middle ground between the university and students here to represent you and your interests, making sure your time here is as smooth sailing and fun as possible."
What does the SU do?
At the Students' Union, we do a lot, both visibly and behind the scenes, to help our student members.
- We support over 100+ student societies, which include anime, Bangla, Chinese percussion, debating, origami, feminist society, a world music choir, yoga and many more.
- We work to make sure all students feel represented at SOAS. From campaigns to Liberation Month events, we want to ensure everyone is seen, heard, and feels valued during their time in university.
- We've got years of experience supporting students with academic and personal issues - such as mitigating circumstances, appeals, housing and funding.
- Our elected Co-Presidents sit on Boards and Committees across SOAS, and they use their presence in these spaces to raise issues and fight for changes that benefit you.
- We work to eliminate sexual harassment and misconduct at SOAS with our Enough is Enough project, holding compulsory consent workshops for all first-year students.
- The SU hosts a wide range of events throughout the year, including cultural, religious, and political events and everything from karaoke to comedy.
- We have a dedicated community space for SOAS students to meet and unwind - so visit us at the SU Junior Common Room.