Information for prospective students from Taiwan

Students from Taiwan

We have gathered specific information for Taiwanese students interested in studying at SOAS.

We currently have 29 new students from Taiwan studying at the School. 

Contact us

Phone: +44 (0)20 7898 4700

If you would like to get in touch with Maggie Dziem, our International Recruitment Head for China and East Asia, you can email her directly ( or through the following apps:

  • WhatsApp: +447548240546
  • WeChat: maggie_soas
  • LINE: maggie_soas
  • Kakao: SOASUoL

You can also follow us on Weibo or our Chinese microsite , our Bilibili and WeChat:英国伦敦大学亚非学院教育SOAS, Douyin:英国伦敦大学亚非学院SOAS.

We travels to Taiwan regularly and you can find out about forthcoming visits in our listings for events in your country

SOAS works with a number of local representatives in Taiwan and you can contact them directly with any questions about applying to and studying at SOAS:

Minimum entry requirements

These are guidelines only and do not guarantee entry. Each application will be judged on its own merits.

Undergraduate study

The Taiwanese High School leaving certificate is not sufficient for entry to a SOAS undergraduate degree. The International Foundation Courses and English Language Studies Centre (IFCELS) at SOAS offer a preparatory year for international students seeking entry to undergraduate degrees at British universities.

Applicants offering either ‘A’ levels or the IB Diploma will also be considered. Further information can be found in our undergraduate entry requirements.

Graduate study

Applicants with a good lower second class (or equivalent) bachelor’s degree (the overall GPA of 68%-72% or 2.8-3.0/4.0) from a good university will be considered for entry to a SOAS master’s degree.

Research applicants would normally be expected to have completed a Masters qualification from a good university.
In addition you should check the individual programme of study for any specific academic requirements; please refer to the postgraduate prospectus or postgraduate entry requirements.

English language proficiency

Applicants whose first language is not English will normally have to provide evidence of their English language proficiency. Please check our English language requirements for detailed information. SOAS does offer English summer courses (‘pre-sessionals’) for those who do not meet the exact entry requirements so that students have the opportunity to improve their language skills before beginning academic study.

Foundation courses

Those applicants who do not meet the above entry requirements or would like to improve their English language before studying for a degree, could consider applying for one of the foundation degrees offered at the SOAS IFCELS centre.

Students can improve their English while studying academic courses in an area of their choice, including Development Studies, International Business, Media and Communication and International Politics.


SOAS offers a wide-range of scholarships, bursaries and awards to support students, including the International Postgraduate Scholarship for East Asia, which is open to any Taiwanese Masters student studying full-time.

A number of scholarships are also provided by the University of London, the British Government and other external organisations, for a list please visit scholarships and bursaries.


The SOAS Careers Service is part of The Careers Group, University of London, which is the biggest careers service in the country. The Careers Service provides a range of services including a careers information library, career counselling services and various events throughout the year, to help with career choice, job hunting, applications and interviews.


If you are interested in contacting an alumus of SOAS in Taiwan then please contact: Daniel Mojahedi (MA Chinese Studies 2008):

Useful links

  • British Council - the British Government's international organization for educational and cultural relations, and has information and advice on education and contemporary arts in the UK.
  • Education UK is produced by the British Council to help international students interested in a UK course or qualification.
  • UKCISA - The UK Council for International Students Affairs provides information on many aspects of studying overseas, including visas and working while studying.
  • UK Border Agency - up to date information on immigration and visa requirements.
  • UCAS - Universities and Colleges Admission Service is the body through which all applications for undergraduate study must be made.
  • British Consulate in Taipei