Childcare for students

You are viewing: How to find a nursery or childminder place for your child

SOAS does not have a nursery of its own but you'll find information here about where to find childcare and how to apply for help with your childcare costs. 

How to find a nursery or childminder place for your child

Find out about childcare facilities and availability of places throughout the UK including all the London Boroughs on GOV.UK.

Funding for Childcare

Government help with childcare costs

You may be able to get help towards approved childcare from the government:

If you are unsure about which option is right for you, you can use the government's Childcare Choices website and Childcare Calculator to compare the support you can get from the different options you may be eligible for.

Funding for undergraduate students

If you qualify for a Maintenance Loan from Student Finance England for your undergraduate studies, you can also access means-tested financial support towards the cost of approved childcare.

You can get 85% of your childcare costs or a fixed maximum amount, whichever is less. The maximum you can get in 2022/23 is:

  • up to £183.75 a week for 1 child
  • up to £315.03 a week for 2 or more children

You may also qualify for Parents Learning Allowance, a grant to help with cost of being a student parent of up to £1,863 in 2022/23.

Both grants are means tested and non-repayable. To find out more visit

SOAS Childcare Fund

The School has a Childcare Fund to help full-time student parents with up to £750 per academic year towards the cost of Ofsted registered childcare. 

Other sources of funding

You may also qualify for Child Benefit and other government benefits related to the cost of bringing up a small child. Visit GOV.UK for more information.

  • Maternity Action is a charity who supports parents from low income backgrounds to get the funding and support they are entitled to.
  • Turn 2 Us is charity that helps people access benefits and other funding available to them.
  • Gingerbread provides expert advice and practical support for single parents

Please be aware that studying may affect your entitlement to benefits, for any questions please email