Fees and Finance
- Pay as you learn
- Protected fee schedule 2021/22
- Postgraduate loans
- Employer sponsorship
Our distance learning programmes can be paid in full at the time of enrolment or on a pay as you learn basis. Pay as you learn means you only pay for the module you are enrolling on.
|Development, Environment & Policy||10,270||2,054|
|Financial and Management Studies||10,920||1,820|
|International Studies & Diplomacy||12,000||3,000|
|Global Media & Communications||12,000||3,000|
Fees are payable in full during Module Enrolment and should be paid in pounds sterling (GBP).
Module fees exclude customs duties/taxes when we send your module materials and fees paid to local examination centres for sitting your examinations.
Please note that the fees listed above are for this academic year only. The fees may go up each year and therefore your second and subsequent years of study may have higher tuition fees. Continuing students, on the same degree programme, are protected from annual increases higher than 5%.
Students in England, if your course starts on or after 1 August 2019 you can get up to £10,906 for your whole course. If you’re studying for 2, 3 or 4 academic years, the loan will be divided equally across each year of your course. The loan will be paid in 3 instalments of 33%, 33% and 34% each year, and you get the first payment after your course start date, once your university confirms that you’ve registered.
Your loan will be approved by the University of London who will confirm your regsitration. Please see their postgraduate loans page for further information.
Please note that you must pay for and enrol on your first module before your registration can be confirmed.
- Distance learning master's courses (full-time and part-time) are eligible for loans.
- Postgraduate Certificates and Diplomas are not eligible.
- The loans are not means-tested.
- Students must be under the age of 60 at the point of applying.
- Applicants must not hold a master's level course or equivalent (even from overseas).
- Applicants will not be eligible if they have outstanding student loan arrears.
Visit the University of London website for more information and to read our FAQs
You can find a list of scholarships available to Masters’s students. Alternatively, we recommend students approach their local British Council, British High Commission or British Embassy, for information on local funding.
Dependent on nationality, employment circumstances and other factors, funding and sponsorship sources can include:
- United Nations (UNESCO, FAO, UNDP, UNEP etc)
- Bilateral Aid Agencies (SIDA, GTZ, etc)
- European Union
- British Council
- UK Department for International Development / Foreign & Commonwealth Office
- Educational and other charitable trusts
Many organisations sponsor their employees to undertake postgraduate study, for part or all of the programme fees. SOAS is able to invoice sponsors for fees once provided with an authorised letter of sponsorship.
The sponsor's letter, on company letterhead, must confirm that the tuition fees will be paid by the organisation to SOAS and contain the following information:
- Student name
- Student number
- Programme of study
- Name of sponsor (organisation)
- Address and relevant contact details of the sponsor (preferably any of the following – Executive Director of the organisation, Director of Human Resources or Director of Finance, telephone number and email)
- Percentage or specified amount of the fees that the sponsor will pay.
An invoice will be sent directly to your employer/sponsor.
If your sponsor has agreed to pay less than the full fee, or a specified percentage of the fee, please ensure this is clearly specified on the confirmation letter or purchase order.
You will be liable for the balance of the fees due and in order to complete enrolment you must pay the balance due. Please see payment page for how to pay your fees.
Non-payment by sponsor
In the event of non-payment by a sponsor by the due date of the invoice, the student will become personally liable for the payment of fees in full and the balance will be due immediately.