Fees and Finance
Our distance learning programmes can be paid in full at the time of enrolment or on a pay as you learn basis. Pay as you learn means you only pay for the module you are enrolling on.
Module fees exclude customs duties/taxes when we send your module materials and fees paid to local examination centres for sitting your examinations.
Under a new scheme from the UK government, UK and EU nationals who have lived in England for three years may be eligible for a Postgraduate Loan of up to £10,000. All of our master's courses are eligible.
How to apply:
- Apply for your master’s programme
- Register and pay for at least one module
- Apply for your loan separately at gov.uk/postgraduate-loan. You must select University of London International Programmes as the registered institution, not SOAS.
- The University of London will confirm your eligibility with Student Finance, which will pay the loan directly to you.
You can find a list of scholarships available to Masters’s students here. Alternatively, we recommend students approach their local British Council, British High Commission or British Embassy, for information on local funding.
Dependent on nationality, employment circumstances and other factors, funding and sponsorship sources can include:
- United Nations (UNESCO, FAO, UNDP, UNEP etc)
- Bilateral Aid Agencies (SIDA, GTZ, etc)
- European Union
- British Council
- UK Department for International Development / Foreign & Commonwealth Office
- Educational and other charitable trusts
Many organisations sponsor their employees to undertake postgraduate study, for part or all of the programme fees. SOAS is able to invoice sponsors for fees once provided with an authorised letter of sponsorship.
The sponsor's letter, on company letterhead, must confirm that the tuition fees will be paid by the organisation to SOAS and contain the following information:
- Student name
- Student number
- Programme of study
- Name of sponsor (organisation)
- Address and relevant contact details of the sponsor (preferably any of the following – Executive Director of the organisation, Director of Human Resources or Director of Finance, telephone number and email)
- Percentage or specified amount of the fees that the sponsor will pay.
An invoice will be sent directly to your employer/sponsor.
If your sponsor has agreed to pay less than the full fee, or a specified percentage of the fee, please ensure this is clearly specified on the confirmation letter or purchase order.
You will be liable for the balance of the fees due and in order to complete enrolment you must pay the balance due. Please see payment page for how to pay your fees.
Non-payment by sponsor
In the event of non-payment by a sponsor by the due date of the invoice, the student will become personally liable for the payment of fees in full and the balance will be due immediately.