SOAS University of London

International Students

Entry Clearance and Student Visas

In this section you will find some basic information about visas and entry into the UK. Further more detailed information and guidance is available from the GOV.UK website, and from the SOAS page or from your local British Embassy/Consulate/High Commission. 

If you require help with understanding any information given here or if you want further clarification on immigration procedures, please e-mail the SOAS Student Advisor (Immigration and Finance) on

Nationals of countries outside the European Economic Area (EEA)/ Switzerland

If you are a non-EU or a Non-EEA (European Economic Area) national you may need to apply for entry clearance to study in the UK before leaving the country where you live. If you are coming to study at SOAS for more than 6 months you should apply for a Tier 4 (General) Student visa that will cover the whole period of your study.

All enquiries about visa requirements should be directed to the British Embassy/ High commission or Consulate in your home country. To find out if you need a visa to study in the UK, please go to GOV.UK website.  Note: US students do require a student visa to come and study in the UK.

International students who have been made an offer to study at SOAS should follow the links on the left for further information.

Loading the player...

UK visa application from India

Nationals of countries within the European Economic Area (EEA)/ Switzerland

If you are a citizen or national of one of the following countries then you do not need a visa to enter or study in the UK:

Austria Belgium Bulgaria Croatia
Republic of Cyprus Czech Republic Denmark Estonia
Finland France Germany Greece
Hungary Iceland Ireland Italy
Latvia Liechenstein Lithuania Luxembourg
Malta The Netherlands Norway Poland
Portugal Romania Slovakia Slovenia
Spain Sweden Switzerland United Kingdom
EU Residents with Non-EU Passports

If you have permanent residence in any of these countries, but are not a citizen there and you are not coming to the UK under an EEA Family Permit, then you will need a student visa and you should follow the advice for non-EEA nationals (above).