Study Abroad module overview
Study Abroad and Exchange students are able to choose from over 400 modules across our 12 departments at SOAS to build a unique programme. Whether you are coming to SOAS for the full year or half the year, you are not restricted to a Study Abroad ‘pathway’, or to one specific department (note that some module restrictions apply).
Value of modules
- 15 credits – Term 1 only OR Term 2/3 only
- 30 credits – Full year module (Term 1 AND Term 2/3)
These are credits not ECTS points. European students should note the following ECTS points:
- 15 UK Credits are equivalent to 7.5 ECTS credit points
- 30 UK Credits are equivalent to 15 ECTS credit points
Students coming for just one term will earn 7.5 ECTS points for a 30 credit module.
Some modules have pre-requisite classes, so you will be expected to prove that you have taken a similar module to the prerequisite at your home institution. It is your responsibility to contact the relevant module convenor to get permission to take a module that has prerequisites.
How to sign up for modules
Online module sign-up system
- September starters use our online Module Sign-up System which opened in early September.
- January starters will submit their choices to the Study Abroad team at the beginning of November 2022.
All available modules are subject to change and some may have restrictions on class numbers so we cannot guarantee entry into every module.
For more information on particular modules, contact the Module Convenor (found on the individual module web pages).
Departments and available modules
Most of the modules taught at SOAS are available for Study Abroad/Exchange Students, however please note that:
- Independent study projects, dissertations and extended essays are not open to Study Abroad/Exchange students as they are not taught modules.
- Language modules are found in the regional departments: South East Asia, South Asia, Africa, China and Inner Asia, Japan and Korea, Near and Middle East.
- Undergraduate students may be allowed to take one Postgraduate module, but only with permission from the Module Convenor.
- Students interested in literature modules will be able to find these across the Schools.