Regional Guides: Americas & the Caribbean
The following collections contain material relating to the Caribbean, Central, North or South America. Click on the name of the collection to see a summary description from the A-Z listings. Alternatively, search for the collection on the SOAS Archive Catalogue.
Based upon the UNESCO definition, this area includes the following countries: Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda, Aruba, Bahamas, Barbados, British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Cuba, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Grenada, Guadeloupe, Haiti, Jamaica, Martinique, Monserrat, Netherlands Antilles, Puerto Rico, Saint Christopher and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Trinidad and Tobago, Turks and Caicos Islands and the United States Virgin Islands.
- Christian Aid
- Conference of British Missionary Societies
- Council for World Mission
- Methodist Missionary Society
- Movement for Colonial Freedom
Based upon the UNESCO definition, this area includes the following countries: Belize, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua and Panama.
Based upon the UNESCO definition, this area includes the following countries: Bermuda, Canada, Mexico, Saint Pierre and Miqueleon and the USA.
Based upon the UNESCO definition, this area includes the following countries: Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Falkland Islands, French Guiana, Guyana, Paraguay, Peru, Suriname, Uruguay and Venezuela.
There are a number of surveys and guides to assist researchers to identify and locate relevant archival material held in the UK.
- Anita L. P Burdett Summary guide to Archive and Manuscript collections relevant to the former British Colonial Territories in the United Kingdom (1988)
- Anne Thurston Sources for Colonial Studies in the PRO Vol 1 (1995)
- Peter Walne A guide to manuscript sources for the history of Latin America and the Caribbean in the British Isles (1973)