SOAS Sanctuary Scholarships 2022/23
DEADLINE: 23:59 (GMT) on 27 March 2022
The SOAS Sanctuary scheme to support displaced people was launched in 2015. It is designed to support those who might otherwise be blocked from embarking on a university degree especially those with a precarious forms of immigration status or who do not have access to Student Finance, and people taking their first steps into Higher Education.
The SOAS Sanctuary scheme for 2022/23 is pleased to offer 7 fully funded scholarships at undergraduate level. The scholarships include a full tuition fee waiver for any full time undergraduate degree of 3 years duration, along with £12,000 maintenance per academic year, to contribute towards living costs.
Applicants must be a displaced person which includes the following types of status:
- Refugee status
- Humanitarian protection status
- Discretionary Leave to Remain
- Limited leave to remain on human rights grounds including UASC
- Refused Asylum Seeker (fresh claim submitted)
- Submitted an asylum claim in the UK.
- Asylum Seeker
We also welcome applications from young people who attended school in the UK, until their 18th birthday, but now are having to resolve their immigration status and meanwhile cannot embark on a degree course due to lack of access to Student Finance.
Applicants for undergraduate degrees must have provided evidence of their status to firstname.lastname@example.org by the end of the scholarship application deadline.
Applicants must be resident in the UK
For your application for a Sanctuary Scholarship to be considered by the Selection Panel, you will need to have received an offer of a place to study an eligible degree at SOAS, so please do not delay making your application for a place at SOAS.
You will still have to meet the conditions of your offer of a place (academic qualifications and English language requirements for example), to embark on the degree and receive the scholarship.
Only new undergraduate students may apply: those already enrolled on a degree at SOAS are not eligible to apply.
Eligible Degrees and Award Value
The scholarships include a full tuition fee waiver for:
- Any full time undergraduate degree of 3 years duration
- In addition, £12,000 maintenance per academic year will be provided to contribute towards living costs.
- Applications are shortlisted by a Selection Committee of at least 3 members, and applicants may be asked to attend an interview.
- Among eligible candidates (see above) we will prioritise:
- Undergraduate students embarking on their first steps into higher education.
- People who do not have access to Student Finance, so if you have received a refusal letter, please make sure you submit this to us.
- The Selection Committee will consider the information you have provided in your admissions application:
- Your rationale for choosing the degree you wish to study at SOAS.
- Your learning trajectory including academic achievements and obstacles you have overcome.
- How well the degree will serve your future plans and intentions.
- Your supporting references.
- In addition, we will consider the information you provide in your scholarship application about your immigration situation and why you are applying for this scholarship. It is important that you provide clear information about this and any supporting documents, so that we can understand your situation.
Scholarship Application Deadline
- Scholarship applications must be received by no later than 23:59 (GMT) on 27 March 2022. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Please note that you must have an offer of admission to your chosen degree at SOAS in order for your application for a scholarship to be considered by the selection committee. Applications for admission can take up to 4 weeks to be considered by the Department, although this duration can vary depending on the time of year. You should be prepared to wait up to 6 weeks in busy periods.
Scholarship Application Procedure
Select and apply for your chosen degree programme via UCAS (Undergraduates). Having a place at SOAS is necessary to be considered by the Sanctuary Scholarship selection panel, although you may submit a scholarship application before you receive your offer of a place from admissions.
Apply for the Sanctuary Scholarship via the online form.You should save a copy of your application form for your records. If you wish to print a copy of the application then please do so before clicking SUBMIT.
Notification of Results
Undergraduate applicants with an offer to study at SOAS, who submitted a complete scholarship application by 26 January 2022 (UCAS deadline) will be notified in time for the UCAS deadline of 19 May 2022.
If you have not heard from us by the end of June 2022, you should assume your application was unsuccessful.
For enquiries, please contact:
Telephone: +44 (0)20 7074 5094
We recommend you bookmark this page as we may make further updates and clarifications.
Last update: 22/12/2022.
SOAS Sanctuary Scholarships
To find out how you can help and support this scholarship and ensure a generation of students do not miss out on education, please visit the Sanctuary Scholarship Campaign info page