I received the SOAS School of Arts Postgraduate Thesis Prize and a doctoral research scholarship in 2018. I balance research in contemporary transatlantic media forms with my role as Media Disseminator for the ERC-funded research project 'Screen Worlds: Decolonising Film and Screen Studies.'
My doctoral thesis explores the ways in which Kahlil Joseph’s films, music videos and advertisements merge visual representations of intercontinental experiences with the countercultural energies of Afrodiasporic music, thereby offering alternative versions of contemporaneity that challenge the Eurocentricity underpinning Western modernity. Kahlil Joseph has collaborated with musicians Beyoncé, Kendrick Lamar, FKA Twigs, Flying Lotus and Sampha, as well as fashion labels Vans and KENZO, and telecommunications company O2.
PEER-REVIEWED PUBLICATIONS AND BOOK CHAPTERS
- Jackson, Joseph Owen (forthcoming 2021), 'Kahlil Joseph, New Media and the New Black Cinema: A Case for Situating Joseph's Audiovisual Work within the Theoretical Frameworks of African Film', in Black Camera, Indiana: Indiana University Press, Fall 2021.
- Jackson, Joseph Owen (forthcoming 2021). 'Searching for Soul, Reframing the Pursuit of Capital: A Comparison of Kahlil Joseph and Derek Pike's I Need A Dollar Music Videos,' in Music, Sound, and the Moving Image, Liverpool: Liverpool University Press.
- Jackson, Joseph Owen (forthcoming 2021), ‘(Re)claiming Individuality, (Re)imaging Sambizanga’s Maria: Sarah Maldoror’s Afro-Feminist Film Adaptation of A Vida Verdadeira De Domingos Xavier’, in Sara Hanaburgh (ed), The History of Sub-Saharan African Literatures on Film, New York: Bloomsbury Academic. [Now available to pre-order].
- Jackson, Joseph Owen (forthcoming 2021), ‘Timeless Glimpses of A-Free-Ka: Negotiating the Transmedia Screen Worlds of Kahlil Joseph's Cheeba (2010)’, in Añulika Agina, Lindiwe Dovey and Michael W. Thomas (eds), African Screen Worlds: Open-Access Edited Volume, London: Screen Worlds.
CONFERENCES AND PUBLIC SPEAKING
- Jackson, Joseph Owen, with Professor Angelica Böhm, Professor Käthe Wenzel, Doctor Lars Gutow, and Jan Schneider (2020), 'Transmedia Storytelling: Camilla Plastic Ocean Plan – Exhibition Opening', Ars Electronica Festival 2020, Panelist at Ars Electronica, Kepler Gardens Channel (Linz, Austria). 11.09.20.
- Jackson, Joseph Owen (2019), 'Adapting Music Business to the Digital Age,' Music in the Disruptive Era: The Digital, the Internet and Beyond, International, Conference Speaker at: Complesso Monumentale di San Micheletto, Centro Studi Opera Omnia Luigi Boccherini (Lucca, Italy). 15.12.19.
- Jackson, Joseph Owen, with Assistant Professor Keith Wagner, Ram Baht and Rachel Velody (2019), 'Roundtable on Cross-disciplinarity', Screen and Film Research Methods Today, Roundtable Speaker at: Goldsmiths, University of London (London, UK). 19.10.19.
- Jackson, Joseph Owen (2019), 'What is an Urban Film Essay?: An Introduction to Handsworth Songs (1986)', City, Essay. Film: Handsworth Songs, Public Screening Introduction at: Bertha DocHouse with University College London, University of London (London, UK). 24.06.19.
- Jackson, Joseph Owen (2019), 'Contemporary Media Scholarship and the Film Essay Form', UoL Screen Studies Group Research Conference, Conference Speaker at: Birkbeck, University of London (London, UK). 09.06.19.
- Jackson, Joseph Owen (2019), 'Crossroads of New Media: Music Video and the African Diaspora', Migration, Mobilities and Borders, Conference Speaker at: School of Oriental and African Studies, University of London (London, UK). 23.03.19.
African Screen Worlds: Decolonising Film and Screen Studies
- Website https://screenworlds.org/
- Twitter @screenworlds1
London Screen Studies Group
- Website https://www.gold.ac.uk/media-communications/research/screen-studies-group/
- Twitter @screenstudiesgr