Joseph balances research in contemporary Afrodiasporic media forms with his role as Digital Media Disseminator for the ERC-funded research project 'African Screen Worlds: Decolonising Film and Screen Studies.' He runs the project's website: http://www.screenworlds.org
Joseph received the SOAS School of Arts Postgraduate Thesis Prize in 2018 and a SAVAnT@CHASE Travel Award in 2019. His fieldwork in 2020 will take place across Sierra Leone and the USA.
Joseph Owen Jackson’s doctoral research explores ways in which experiences of the African diaspora are represented by the films, music videos and commercial works of director Kahlil Joseph. An accomplished artist across a broad range of visual practices, Kahlil Joseph's projects draw from various forms of African culture – referencing Yoruba deities, Sierra Leonean literature and Senegalese film-masters – while expressing the diaspora's contemporary condition in a range of locations. Kahlil Joseph has collaborated with musicians Beyoncé, Kendrick Lamar, FKA Twigs, Flying Lotus and Sampha, as well as fashion labels Vans and KENZO, and telecommunications company O2.
- DIGITAL MEDIA
Directors: Jackson, Joseph Owen, and Dankmer, Julia. (2019). “The Cup.” Camilla Plastic Ocean Plan: Masterclass Artistic Research. Film Universität Babelsberg Konrad Wolf (Potsdam, Germany).
- Contestant: Jackson, Joseph Owen. Director: Song, Moonyoung. Producer: Lapinska, Dominika (2019). “Masterpiece: Pilot Episode.” National Film and Television School (Beaconsfield, UK).
Jackson, Joseph Owen. (2019). "'Faceshopping' (2018) with Sophie Xeon/SOPHIE." Self-mediation in Contemporary Narrative Screen Media. In Media Res: A Media Commons Project. Georgia State University (Atlanta, USA). [not peer reviewed]
- Jackson, Joseph Owen. (2019). “Adapting Music Business to the Digital Age.” Music in the Disruptive Era: The Digital, the Internet and Beyond. Complesso Monumentale di San Micheletto, Centro Studi Opera Omnia Luigi Boccherini (Lucca, Italy). 15.12.19.
- Jackson, Joseph Owen and Baht, Ram and Velody, Rachel and Wagner, Keith. "Roundtable on Cross-disciplinarity." Screen and Film Research Methods Today. Goldsmiths, University of London (London, UK). 19.10.19.
- Jackson, Joseph Owen. (2019). “What is an Urban Film Essay?: Introduction to ‘Handsworth Songs’ (1986) at Bertha DocHouse.” City, Essay. Film: Handsworth Songs. University College London, University of London (London, UK). 24.06.19.
- Jackson, Joseph Owen. (2019). ""Contemporary Media Scholarship and the Film Essay Form."" UoL Screen Studies Group Research Conference. Birkbeck, University of London (London, UK). 09.06.19.
- Jackson, Joseph Owen. (2019). "Crossroads of New Media: Music Video and the African Diaspora." Migration, Mobilities and Borders Conference. School of Oriental and African Studies, University of London (London, UK). 23.03.19.
African Screen Worlds: Decolonising Film and Screen Studies
- Website https://screenworlds.org/
- Twitter @screenworlds1
London Screen Studies Group
- Website https://www.gold.ac.uk/media-communications/research/screen-studies-group/
- Twitter @screenstudiesgr