Dr Amel Makhlouf is a French qualified lawyer specialised in international arbitration and litigation, with a banking and finance background. She has gained extensive experience in international commercial law, cross-border disputes and arbitral proceedings based in various jurisdictions including the Arab Middle East.
Through her professional and academic career, Dr Makhlouf gained expertise in France, England, Luxembourg, the United States of America and Tunisia. Her research interests include comparative law, international business law, alternative dispute resolution in the MENA region, Islamic contract law and its interaction with Western laws and legal systems. Besides, she recently worked on the historical transplantation of French law into the MENA region from the 19th century.
Dr Makhlouf is a Member of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (MCIArb). She is a senior legal counsel (Paris/Tunis), a lecturer in law at Sorbonne Law School (Paris, France) and at the Institute for Research and Studies on the Mediterranean and the Middle East (Paris, France).
- 28 May 2020, L’influence du droit français en Algérie et dans l’Empire Ottoman à compter du 19ème siècle (The Influence of French Law in Algeria and the Ottoman Empire from the 19th century), Webinar, Société de Législation Comparée (Paris)
- 7 Feb 2020, Les influences françaises sur le droit et les systèmes juridiques des pays arabes (The Influence of French Law into the Arab World), University Paris Nanterre (Nanterre)
- 11 Jan 2020, Le droit et la finance islamiques (Islamic Law & Finance), iReMMO (Paris)
- 6 Dec 2019, The transformation of Islamic Law: Assessing the historical transplantation of French law into the MENA region from the 19th century, SOAS, University of London (London)
- 5 Oct 2019, Droit comparé des systèmes juridiques arabes (Comparative Law and Legal Systems in the Arab World), iReMMO (Paris)
- 3 Oct 2019, Normes juridiques et jugements (Human Rights / Public Law), iReMMO (Paris)
- 20 Sep 2019, Le financement de l’arbitrage par des tiers (TPF in International Arbitration), Sorbonne Law School (Paris)
- 16 May 2019, Tribunal secretaries’ mission in commercial arbitration: practical ways to promote efficiency in institutional and ad hoc arbitral proceedings, CMS Ukraine (Kiev)
- 16 May 2019, ADR methods offered by the CIArb, Vasil Kisil & Partners (Kiev)
- 12 Apr 2019, The controversial and evolving role of tribunal secretaries, Sorbonne Law School (Paris). In partnership with the CIArb.
- 30 Mar 2019, Le droit et la finance islamiques (Islamic Law & Finance), iReMMO (Paris)