Intensive Academic English Course
- 6 weeks
- Start of programme
- Summer 2022
- Attendance mode
- Russell Square, College Buildings
This is a full-time 6-week academic language skills course to help students at an intermediate level prepare for further academic studies or just to improve academic English skills.
This Intensive Academic English course develops reading, writing, listening and speaking skills, as well as strengthening grammar, academic vocabulary and independent study skills.
The course is particularly beneficial for students who would like to improve their academic English in a short period of time and/or are considering academic study in an English-medium environment in the future.
English language requirements: a minimum of IELTS for UKVI Academic 5.0 with at least 5.0 in each sub-score, or equivalent UKVI-approved SELT.
To apply, please complete the form here
Classes take place everyday from Monday to Friday, and are led by two English for Academic Purposes specialists who target literacy (reading and writing) and oracy (listening and speaking).
Every week, students submit work to their teacher and receive written and one-to-one feedback.
- develop their written accuracy
- increase their vocabulary in an academic context
- improve reading speed and skills
- learn how to deal with academic texts
- produce an extended piece of academic essay writing
- strengthen lecture-listening and note-taking skills
- improve seminar speaking and presentation skills
- become more independent and collaborative students
- develop online literacy skills needed for all forms of academic study and beyond
The information on the website reflects the intended programme structure against the given academic session. The modules are indicative options of the content students can expect and are/have been previously taught as part of these programmes. However, this information is published a long time in advance of enrolment and module content and availability is subject to change.
Teaching and learning
This is a full-time course with classes every morning and afternoon, delivered by two specialists in English for Academic Purposes. Students can expect to strengthen reading, writing, speaking and listening skills in an academic context, as well as expanding vocabulary and developing confidence in communicating more complex ideas.
- The maximum number of students per class is 15.
- You will receive a certificate for successful course completion.
- Students will also have access to SOAS library including our wide range of e-books and e-journals.
For further information, please see the IFCELS frequently asked questions.
Fees and funding
£3,500 GBP (6-week full time course)