MA Global Diplomacy (Online)
- 2-years (Max. 3-years)
- Start of programme
- Attendance mode
- Online Learning (part-time)
PGDip/PGCert: available as exit awards.
- Entry requirements
A minimum upper second class honours degree (or equivalent). We welcome applications from academically strong individuals from a wide variety of fields and backgrounds. Candidates with a lower class degree but with degree-relevant work experience may be considered.
This MA Global Diplomacy online programme is an opportunity to learn about the key concepts of diplomacy and the institutional development of diplomatic relations.
You will also gain in-depth knowledge of negotiations processes through the course's core module, The Art of Negotiation. In addition, you will be able to select modules according to your interests and career goals, including International Security, Diplomatic Systems, and America and the World: US Foreign Policy.
Established in 2013 and based on 20 years of experience within Centre for International Studies and Diplomacy (CISD), MA Global Diplomacy will allow you to deepen your understanding of international affairs and contemporary diplomatic practice. The programme brings together cutting-edge research in delivering an engaging and stimulating student experience in a dynamic field of study.You will acquire the knowledge, understanding and skills necessary to proceed to careers in a range of professional contexts where diplomacy is relevant, while also providing the learning opportunities to enable you, as a postgraduate student, to acquire the interdisciplinary knowledge to undertake further advanced studies and research in the area of global diplomacy.
The course has its foundations in an established heritage of high-quality teaching and research within SOAS' Centre for International Studies and Diplomacy (CISD). The mission of CISD is to promote multi-disciplinary teaching that combines the distinctive expertise of SOAS with cutting-edge research and public discussion of diplomacy and international politics in a globalised world.
The programme is delivered by the Centre for International Studies and Diplomacy (CISD) using a combination of multi-disciplinary teaching, cutting-edge research and public discussion of diplomacy and international politics in a globalised world.
Who should apply
Relevant for those engaged in or embarking on a career in diplomatic or related fields requiring international expertise in government, not-for-profit, corporate or academic environments.
By studying online, students will also have the flexibility to integrate studies into working life without having to take a career break.
Students will study one core module and a range of elective modules on offer each session. There are also four research mini modules.
- 1x core modules
- 3x elective modules
- 4x research mini modules
- 1x dissertation
Students are required to rank three elective modules in preferred order from the below sample list for each study session following their core module. All modules are subject to availability and this list is not exhaustive from session to session.
The information on the programme page reflects the intended programme structure against the given academic session. If you are a current student you can find structure information on the previous year link at the top of the page or through your Department. Please read the important notice regarding changes to programmes and modules.
Teaching and learning
This programme is taught 100% online through our VLE.
Virtual Learning Environment (VLE)
In the VLE you will have access to learning materials and course resources anytime so you can fit your studies around your existing commitments. For each module, students will be provided with access, through the SOAS Library, to all necessary materials from a range of appropriate sources.
A key component of the student experience will be peer to peer learning, with students enrolled in discussion forums.
In addition to a dedicated Associate Tutor, a study timetable is provided for each module and for the overall programme to help you to organise your time.
The programme is broken down into two study sessions per year. Each subject module lasts 16 weeks, followed by a research mini module lasting 8 weeks.
Sample study timetable
|Substantive module||16 weeks|
|Reading weeks||2 weeks|
|Research mini module||8 weeks|
|Reading weeks||2 weeks|
Each module is assessed by five written online assessments (*e-tivities) comprising of 30%, the remaining 70% is formed of a 5,000 word essay.The e-tivities provide formative and summative feedback to students as a means of monitoring their progress and encouraging areas in which they can improve.
* An 'e-tivity' is a framework for online, active and interactive learning following a format that states clearly to the students its 'Purpose'; the 'Task' at hand; the contribution or 'Response' type; and the 'Outcome' (Salmon, G. (2002) E-tivities: The Key to Active Online Learning, New York and London: Routledge Falmer.)
Research training and dissertation
Research training is a key feature of this programme, the dissertation module is presented in four development parts, which will follow each of your module sessions. Research modules one and three are formative modules only, and are not assessed.
The dissertation is assessed by the submission of a written dissertation of no more than 15,000 words, excluding the bibliography and appendices, which will account for 85% of the mark awarded for the module (research module four). The remaining 15% of the module mark will be based on the mark obtained for a 1,500 word research proposal (research module two).
The research proposal is compulsory for students going on to do a PGDip or MA. MA students must submit a dissertation at the end of research module four.
Fees and funding
|£12,000||See below||See below|
PG Dip and PG Cert are available as exit awards and interested students should be in touch directly with the course team at email@example.com
Note this is a new fee structure, students will continue their programme on the same fee structure throughout.
See online and distance learning fees for further information.
Pay as you learn
Our distance learning programmes can be paid in full at the time of enrolment or on a pay as you learn basis. Pay as you learn means you pay for modules prior to enrolment (£3,000).
If you have been a resident in England for 3 years you may be eligible. For more information, see please fees and finance.
Students from SOAS’s Centre for International Studies and Diplomacy (CISD) develop an in-depth understanding of international affairs, contemporary diplomatic practice and policy-makers. Graduates leave with a portfolio of transferable skills such as critical analysis, problem solving, negotiation and communication, all of which are valued by employers across a number of sectors.
Recent CISD graduates have been hired by:
- Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy
- Ernst & Young
- European Centre for Democracy and Human Rights
- Government of India
- International Rescue Committee
- Medical Aid for Palestinians
- The Commonwealth
- UK National Commission for UNESCO
- United Nations
- World Food Programme
Find out about our Careers Service
Migration Governance and Diplomacy
This project investigates how migration governance has been influenced by “refugee crises” and how crises at large shape policy responses on migration.
Strategic Concept for Removal of Arms and Proliferation (SCRAP)
A comprehensive approach to realising global disarmament,
ACE: Innovative approaches to anti-corruption
Finding impactful anti-corruption strategies around the world.
Recognising the women who shaped the UN Charter
Recognising the key role of women of the Global South in establishing the equality of the sexes in the UN Charter of 1945.