Centre for International Studies and Diplomacy (CISD)
The Centre for International Studies and Diplomacy (CISD) is committed to the promotion of excellence in teaching, scholarship and research. Through varied degree programmes and course offerings, as well a range of extra-curricular activities, the Centre’s aim is to deliver cross-disciplinary teaching and learning that combines an understanding of key concepts, theories and debates with effective practical skills training. Drawing on the academic expertise of both the Centre and SOAS departments of Law, Politics, and Economics, and leveraging SOAS’ distinctive regional expertise, CISD programmes seek to look beyond the traditional Western-centric approach.
All our postgraduate programmes aim is to deliver cross-disciplinary teaching and learning that combines an understanding of key concepts, theories and debates with effective practical skills training.
Why study a CISD postgraduate degree?
In addition to SOAS wide activities and services, students have access to a range of activities organised exclusively for CISD students and included in the programme fee.
- Week long European Study Tour visiting international organisations such as the United Nations, the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development or the European Commission.
- Communication and media skills training by current and former BBC staff.
- CISD offers its students the opportunity to take a language short course in the Language Centre, for one term, at no additional cost.
- Media internship with SOAS Radio, an online station and social media enterprise.
- Volunteer opportunities for Centre research projects addressing themes such as global disarmament, war crimes, and corporate accountability.
- Guest lectures by leading scholars and senior practitioners, as well as our Annual Lecture and networking reception (listen to recent CISD podcasts).
- Alumni networking events such as our annual Alumni reception or Alumni-led careers workshops.
CISD staff conduct ground breaking research in a number of areas and these can be reviewed on our research pages. The following Academics have written a book in the past year: Dr Ashley Cox, Dr Avinash Paliwal, Dr Dan Plesch and Dr J. Simon Rofe
We understand that choosing to study for a Masters is a big decision. If you are interested in studying at the Centre, we would be delighted to discuss with you any queries you have whether in person, on the phone or by Skype. To arrange an appointment with the Centre Director, Dan Plesch, or one of our degree convenors please contact us on the details below. Alternatively, contact us to speak with our dedicated student support officer for general information about applying and contacting recent alumni from your own country.
Dr Dan Plesch, Director of CISD at SOAS, University of London
- +44 (0) 20 7898 4840/4830