Persian Beginners Course
- 1 term per sub-level; 10 weeks per term
- Attendance mode
- Part-time, online/blended learning
The aim of the course is to provide a thorough introduction to contemporary Persian.
You will cover basic grammatical constructions and acquire an essential working vocabulary allowing you to communicate within a limited range of situations in which you are likely to find yourself. The language is presented together with the cultural context in which it is used so you can appreciate such things as appropriateness and linguistic etiquette when interacting with native speakers.
As the course progresses, it aims to provide you with further confidence and vocabulary to discuss more complex topics, write and read more challenging texts in the language. This course is delivered by the Language Centre.
The course is taught in English and Persian with coverage of the four skills of speaking, listening, reading and writing, and a balance between communicative activities, structure practice, grammar and translation. You are expected to attend regularly, participate in class and complete homework regularly to ensure learning progress.
This will be achieved through 20 hours of blended learning: this is composed of 15 hours of online structured lessons with the teacher. This is supplemented by a minimum of 5 hours of guided independent learning supported by complementary material. The course objective will be achieved within the 10-week course.
Course materials are provided by your tutor.
Entry requirement and progression route
For the first stage of Persian Beginners (i.e. Persian Beginners 1), no previous knowledge is required. To be able to join Beginners 2 or 3 you should have completed Beginners 1 and 2 respectively at SOAS Language Centre or have an equivalent knowledge of guided learning hours (20 hours per each sub-level). The progression route from Persian Beginners 1 is to Persian Beginners 2; from Beginners 2 to Beginners 3.
- Please note, that each term, courses are subject to quorum requirements.
- For course dates and information, please see our timetables
Persian Beginners 1
- use the Persian alphabet
- greet and introduce yourself and others
- use numbers 0-100
- ask and give personal information
- say where you live
- say where you come from
- talk about your nationality
- talk about jobs
- talk about your family
- use expressions of time (hours, days and months)
- talk about hobbies and leisure time
- describe your likes and dislikes
- order food and drinks in a Persian restaurant
- talk about future activities
Persian Beginners 2
- communicate making a phone call
- ask and give directions
- talk about the weather and different climates
- talk about habits in the past
- say what you are doing now
- make comparisons between a past habit and the present
- talk about travel arrangements
- talk about your holidays
- do some shopping
- express opinions and intentions
- describe different cultures
Persian Beginners 3
- talk about means of transport
- buy train tickets
- Describe your trips
- identify and use currency and exchange money
- talk about routes and distances
- make comparisons
- describe your neighbourhood
- talk about what you will do
- use numbers up to 1000
- express points of view
The above is an indication of content that may be covered over the duration of the course but it could vary depending on the level and progress of students in the class.
Important notice regarding changes to programmes and modules
See the full list of Language Centre short courses in Persian on the Persian language homepage
Back to the Language Centre