The Associate Student programme is very flexible and allows students to study at SOAS for a short time without studying full-time or following a specific degree, certificate or diploma. As an Associate Student you can choose to take one or more courses at either the undergraduate or postgraduate level. You will be a fully integrated SOAS student with access to all of the events and facilities of the School but you will not be expected to take any assessments unless you choose to.
Note: Students holding a student visa for study at another institution are not permitted to register as an Associate Student.
How to apply
Applicants for one or more courses should complete the Associate Student application form.
The last date of enrollment for Term 2 modules for the 2022/23 academic year is 21 January 2023. It is not possible to process term 2 applications received after this deadline.
On campus modules
You can choose to study modules on campus or take certain language modules via distance learning.
See a full list of the SOAS departments and browse through all of the unique courses that SOAS has to offer on campus.
The tuition fees for this programme will vary according to how many units you choose to take. A full year course counts as one unit, while a course that runs in either term 1 or in term 2 is an 0.5 unit.
LCL Online Language modules
These language modules offered by the Department of Languages, Cultures and Linguistics are available to distance learning Associate Students in 2022-23. We welcome students from around the world to join these language classes alongside SOAS degree students.
The fees for language modules taken by distance learning Associate Students are £850 for 15 credit modules (1 term) and £1695 for 30 credits (2 terms). Courses are assessed and credit-bearing.
Associate Students may be undergraduates or graduates who will apply for the undergraduate (UG) or postgraduate version (PG) of the language module, respectively. The language content of both modules is the same. Follow the links in the list and contact the convenor for each course for further information. For other queries contact Naresh Sharma (email: firstname.lastname@example.org).
South East Asian Languages
- Indonesian – contact Soe Tjen Marching (email: email@example.com
- Thai – contact Rachel Harrison (email: firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Vietnamese – contact Dana Healy (email: email@example.com)
- Amharic – contact Yoseph Mengistu (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Somali - contact Ida Hadjivayanis (email@example.com)
Languages of the Near and Middle East
- Hebrew – contact Mila Neishtadt (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Turkish – contact Yorgos Dedes (email: email@example.com)
South Asian Languages
- Bengali - contact Naresh Sharma (email: firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Urdu and Hindi – contact Naresh Sharma (email:email@example.com)
- Sanskrit – contact Lidia Wojtczak (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Undergraduate or postgraduate students interested in studying full time at SOAS for one term or one year to form part of their degree at another university should apply through the Study Abroad programme.